California consistently leads the nation in the number of pedestrian traffic deaths each year. According to a report by GHSA, 2018 was expected to have the highest number of pedestrian deaths since 1990. Pedestrians and drivers must take steps to reduce the risk of injury and death for pedestrians. Our California pedestrian accident attorney reviews some basic safety tips that can help prevent pedestrian traffic deaths. Also, keep reading to learn what you should do if you are injured in a pedestrian traffic accident.
Safety Tips to Prevent Pedestrian Traffic Accidents
Both drivers and pedestrians have a duty of care to prevent accidents. Therefore, you need to practice pedestrian safety when you are walking and when you are driving a motor vehicle.
Basic safety tips that can help you avoid a pedestrian accident include:
- Avoid distractions while driving and walking. Distracted driving and distracted walking are common causes of pedestrian traffic accidents.
- Whenever possible, use crosswalks or cross at intersections when crossing the street. Always make eye contact with the driver before crossing to ensure the driver sees you.
- Drivers need to pay close attention when approaching crosswalks and intersections. Do not pass other vehicles stopped at an intersection or crosswalk.
- Use slower speeds when driving near schools, parking lots, neighborhoods, parks, playgrounds, and other areas where children and pedestrians are usually present.
- Do not walk or operate a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Try to avoid walking at night, dusk, or dawn. When walking during these times, carry a flashlight and wear reflective clothing to increase visibility.
- Teach children how to cross streets safely. Hold a child’s hand whenever walking or crossing the street.
- Read and follow California pedestrian rules.
For more information and additional pedestrian safety tips, you may want to read these related resources:
What Should I Do After a California Pedestrian Accident?
If you or your child is injured in a pedestrian traffic accident, call 911 immediately to report the accident and request emergency medical services. Remain at the accident scene until police arrive. While waiting for help, take pictures of the accident scene and gather information from eyewitnesses, if possible.
It is best to see a physician as soon as possible after an accident, regardless of whether you think you might be injured. Pedestrian accidents often result in traumatic injuries that can cause permanent impairments. You cannot be sure of the extent of your injuries until a physician completes a thorough examination.
When you are stable, contact a pedestrian accident attorney in California to discuss your case. You might be entitled to compensation for your financial losses and physical injuries. Common damages included in a pedestrian traffic accident claim are:
- Medical expenses
- Loss of income
- Personal care expenses
- Physical pain
- Emotional suffering
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Permanent impairments
- Other out-of-pocket costs
An attorney can investigate the accident, gather evidence proving fault, and handle your insurance claim to protect your right to receive fair compensation from the driver who caused your injuries.
Contact a California Pedestrian Accident Attorney for More Information
Before providing a statement to the insurance company for the driver or accepting a settlement, contact our California pedestrian accident attorneys today for a free case review. Learn about your legal rights and your options for recovering compensation from an experienced attorney who is on your side.