Truck accidents are all too common in California, and tragically, they often result in catastrophic injuries.
When a truck accident is the result of another party’s negligence, injury victims can sue to recover damages. The caring California truck accident attorneys at J&Y Law have helped thousands of accident victims get the compensation they deserve throughout the Los Angeles area and all of California.
We have extensive experience litigating truck accident claims and know how to hold negligent trucking companies, truck drivers, and third parties accountable. When you work with us, we will handle all the details of your claim and fight to get you meaningful compensation.
At J&Y Law, we offer free consultations and will charge no attorney fees until we recover for you. Contact our office today so we can learn the details of your case and help you decide the right path forward.
Common Causes of California Truck Accidents
Federal and state truck safety laws are supposed to protect the public; however, truck accidents often occur for the following reasons:
- Driver Fatigue – Despite federal laws that impose hourly driving limits and mandatory rest breaks on truckers, truck driver fatigue is common. Truckers must meet strict delivery deadlines, cover vast distances, and drive for long periods of time, increasing the risk of fatigue. Both the trucking company and the truck driver may be liable when driver fatigue causes or contributes to a truck accident.
- Distracted Driving – Truck drivers rely on GPS navigation to plot their routes and smartphones to connect with dispatchers and other truckers, resulting in distracted truck driving. J&Y works to hold truck drivers liable for accidents caused by distracted driving.
- Improper Maintenance – Trucking companies and truck owners must comply with applicable safety laws and ensure vehicles and components such as braking systems, engines, tires, brake lights, hitch assemblies, and straps are properly maintained. Defective brakes and tire blowouts frequently result in truck accidents in California.
- Inadequate Training – Trucking companies must vet and properly train truck drivers. Because seasoned truck drivers earn more per mile than new drivers, trucking companies often send inexperienced truckers out on the road without the necessary skills to safely maneuver trucks and tractor-trailers.
- Improper Loading – Federal and state laws regulate permissible cargo weight; however, improper loading is common, which can make a vehicle harder to stop or maneuver. The party responsible for improperly loading the truck, including the trucker, the trucking company, or a third party – freight, cargo, or warehouse operator – may be held liable.
Types of Truck Accidents in California
Some common types of truck accidents include:
- Rollover accidents – Speeding and improper loading can result in rollover accidents, particularly on steep inclines or declines. Rollover accidents can also occur when truck drivers hit curbs, swerve around other vehicles or objects, or take curves too fast.
- Jackknife accidents – Tractor-trailers can “jackknife” when the drive-axle brakes lock, causing the trailer to skid and come to a stop at a 90-degree angle with the tractor.
- Brake failure accidents – Poorly maintained or improperly installed brakes can fail. Also, short stops can cause brakes to overheat, resulting in brake failure.
- Runaway truck accidents – Truck drivers who use improper breaking techniques can cause runaway truck accidents, especially at intersections, toll booths, off-ramps, and railroad crossings.
- Blind spots – Commercial trucks and tractor-trailers have blind spots along the sides and rear known as “No-Zone” areas. Other drivers who fail to avoid No-Zone areas can be seriously injured in a truck accident when truck drivers change lanes or make turns
- Rear-end accidents – When a truck collides with the back of another vehicle, occupants of a smaller vehicle can suffer catastrophic and/or fatal injuries.
- Under-ride accidents – This type of truck accident occurs when truck drivers suddenly slam on the brakes and vehicles traveling behind fail to stop in time and become crushed under the rear of a truck.
- Wide-turn accidents – Truck drivers can underestimate the space needed to complete a turn or fail to spot vehicles in the trailer’s path, pinning them against other vehicles, medians, or other obstacles.
Why You Need an Experienced Truck Accident Attorney
Truck accident claims are complicated, often involving several parties: the truck driver, the trucking company, other motorists, and insurance companies. It takes an experienced truck accident attorney to sort through all the details, identify the responsible party or parties, and get you the compensation you deserve. When you are injured in a truck accident it is vitally important to retain and get guidance from an experienced truck accident lawyer. Los Angeles may be an expensive place to live, but that doesn’t mean you have to suffer as a result of someone else’s negligence.
Let J&Y handle all the details of your claim while you focus on healing from your injuries. If you choose our team to represent you, your attorney will:
- Investigate the accident site
- Obtain and review the police report
- Identify and interview witnesses
- Subpoena the truck driver’s GPS data and review their driving record
- Subpoena the trucking company’s maintenance logs and personnel records
- Collect medical evidence to document your injuries and treatment
- Negotiate a fair and just settlement with insurance companies and opposing counsel
- File a truck accident lawsuit if necessary
Above all, we will fight to get you just compensation, including damages such as:
- Medical expenses
- Rehabilitative costs
- Lost wages – present and future
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Permanent disability/disfigurement
- Replacement services
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
If a family member has died in a truck accident, we can help you file a wrongful death lawsuit to obtain compensation for final medical expenses and other losses. We will stand by you during this difficult time and help you find justice and peace of mind.
Contact Our Experienced California Truck Accident Attorneys Today!
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, a California truck accident lawyer from J&Y Law will offer compassionate, effective representation and fight for the maximum compensation you deserve. Contact our office today to set up a consultation.
J&Y Law helps truck accident victims all throughout the state of California including the Los Angeles and San Francisco Bay areas.
Truck Accident FAQs
What is the average settlement for a truck accident lawsuit in California?
In California, the average settlement amount for a commercial truck accident is around $75,000. However, the amount of money that an accident victim actually receives can vary greatly from one case to the next. Depending on the nature of your injuries and other circumstances such as losing your employment, your payout could be in excess of millions of dollars. Please consult with our attorneys to determine a more exact figure based on your unique circumstances.