National and regional truck delivery providers send thousands of delivery trucks onto the streets and highways of California each day. Delivery trucks are easier to drive and maneuver than tractor-trailers and other commercial trucks; however, delivery truck accidents are common, causing serious injuries to other motorists, vehicle occupants, and pedestrians. If you or a loved one has suffered injuries in a delivery truck accident, turn to J&Y Law.
We work to hold negligent parties accountable and help delivery truck accident victims obtain just compensation. With more people shopping online, the use of delivery trucks has grown exponentially in California and around the country, increasing the number and frequency of delivery truck accidents.
Determining who is responsible, dealing with the legal system, and negotiating a settlement is challenging. Trust J&Y Law to handle all the details and protect your rights. Contact our office today to get started with an experienced delivery truck accident attorney. Your initial consultation is free, and you pay nothing to us until we recover for you.
Driver Error and California Delivery Truck Accidents
Delivery truck drivers must complete routes with dozens of stops each day, frequently travel through cross-town traffic to make their deliveries, and meet strict deadlines, making them more prone to driver errors, such as:
- Driving too fast for the road, traffic, and weather conditions
- Distracted driving from using smartphones or GPS devices, or reading delivery lists
- Drowsy driving
- Disobeying traffic signals and stop signs
- Making improper lane changes
- Failing to use turn signals
- Failing to yield the right of way
A delivery truck driver may be liable for accidents resulting in injuries under any of the foregoing circumstances. At the same time, delivery truck accidents can also occur when vehicles are poorly maintained, in which case the delivery service and the delivery truck owner may be liable. We will work to identify all the responsible parties and get you the maximum compensation you deserve.
Determining Liability In an Accident With a Delivery Truck
In many commercial truck accidents, both the trucking company and the truck driver may be liable, especially when the trucker is an employee. Determining liability in delivery truck accidents is challenging because many service providers consider their drivers to be independent contractors and believe they are not liable for the negligence of contractors.
To determine whether a truck driver is an employee or an independent contractor, courts will consider several factors, including:
- How much control the delivery service has over the driver’s duties
- Whether the employer sets the driver’s route or schedule
- Whether the delivery service provides equipment
- Whether the employer pays the driver by the hour
- Whether the employer provides benefits, such as health insurance, paid time off
Under these circumstances, the driver may be considered an employee, and, therefore, the delivery service may bear some responsibility for the delivery truck accident.
Injuries In Delivery Truck Accidents
Delivery truck accidents can result in all types of injuries, including:
- Back and neck injuries (e.g. whiplash)
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Burn injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Loss of limb
- Wrongful death
The mounting medical expenses combined with lost income and other financial losses can quickly overwhelm you. Once you receive proper treatment and begin to recover, contacting an experienced delivery truck accident attorney is the best way to protect your rights.
How J&Y Law Can Help
We understand the physical, emotional, and financial burdens facing you and will do all the heavy lifting so you can focus on healing. Our legal team will:
- Conduct a thorough investigation
- Obtain and review the police reports
- Secure any traffic surveillance video recordings
- Identify and interview witnesses, including the delivery truck driver
- Collaborate with accident reconstruction experts to support your claim
- Communicate with the delivery service, truck driver, and insurance companies
- Negotiate a fair and just settlement
- File delivery truck accident lawsuit if necessary
We are sharp negotiators and aggressive trial lawyers, fully prepared to protect your rights at the bargaining table or in the courtroom.
Damages From Delivery Truck Accidents
At J&Y Law, we will fight for compensation that includes economic and noneconomic damages, such as:
- Medical Expenses
- Rehabilitative costs
- Lost wages – present and future
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability/disfigurement
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Attorney fees and court costs
Above all, we will make sure you receive compensation to meet all your future financial and medical needs. Our attorneys never settle for less. We settle for more.
Contact Our Experienced California Delivery Truck Accidents Attorney
Don’t let the delivery truck accident that caused your injuries go unpunished. Contact our office now so we can start working on your claim.