Being injured in an accident in San Jose is an overwhelming experience and even more so when the accident is caused by the negligent, reckless or willful misconduct of another party. In addition to pain and suffering, many accident victims face mounting medical expenses, often while being unable to work for an extended period of time. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident that was not your fault, it is important to know your rights.
J&Y Law is a premier personal injury law firm serving clients in San Jose and throughout Northern and Southern California. We have decades of experience handling injury claims arising from all types of accidents, including:
- Car Accidents — Because California is a fault state for insurance purposes, having a valid car accident claim means showing that the other driver was responsible for causing the accident. Our legal team has the skills and experience that are critically important for achieving successful outcomes in automobile accident claims in San Jose.
- Construction Accidents — Between the rapid development of commercial property to house the expanding tech sector and a luxury high-rise boom, construction activity in San Jose continues at a breakneck pace. As a result, construction accidents are becoming increasingly common. Although construction workers are typically covered under the state’s Workers’ Compensation Insurance program, it may be possible to file a civil lawsuit in the event that an injury is caused by a safety violation or the negligence of a third party.
- Motorcycle Accidents — Motorcycling has long been popular in San Jose, despite the fact that riders are at a high risk of injury or death in a collision. Some injured motorcycle riders may be unable to work for an extended period of time while others may require lifelong care. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident that was caused by a negligent driver, you can rest assured that the experienced personal injury attorneys at J&Y Law will never stop fighting for you.
- Truck Accidents — The roads and highways of San Jose are a major transit hub and drivers have little choice but to share the road with commercial trucks. Given the size and weight of a typical truck, a collision can have devastating consequences for the occupants of a smaller vehicle. We leverage our knowledge of state and federal truck safety laws and courtroom experience to make sure our clients are justly compensated for injuries arising from truck accidents.
- Medical Malpractice — Individuals in San Jose place their trust, and often their very lives, in the hands of doctors and other medical professionals. When a patient is injured because a medical professional failed to provide the appropriate standard of care, it is possible to file a medical malpractice lawsuit. J&Y Law has a proven track record of holding helping victims of medical mistakes obtain just compensation.
- Nursing Home Abuse/Negligence — As our society ages, entering a nursing home or assisted living facility is a difficult decision that many elders and their loved ones will inevitably face. While most nursing homes provide first-rate care to their residents, incidents of elder abuse and neglect are not uncommon. At J&Y, we are dedicated to protecting the rights of the most vulnerable members of our society and holding negligent nursing home operators accountable.
- Pedestrian Accidents — As any motorist should know, pedestrians in San Jose always have the right of way. Moreover, all drivers have a duty to operate their vehicles in a safe manner and avoid causing accidents. A negligent or reckless driver can be held liable for injuries arising from a pedestrian accident.
- Premises Liability — Property owners in San Jose — commercial, residential or public– have a duty to provide visitors and passers-by with a safe environment. If a hazard such as a broken step, a slippery surface or a cracked or raised sidewalk causes an injury, it is possible for the victim to recover damages by pursuing a premises liability lawsuit.
- Product Liability — Consumers in San Jose have a right to expect that the products they purchase are safe. If injuries occur due to manufacturing or design defects or because a consumer was not forewarned of the dangers associated with the use (or misuse) of a product, a product liability lawsuit can be filed against the manufacturers and/or distributor.
- Wrongful Death — Losing a loved one is never easy and coping can become more challenging when the death was the result of another’s reckless, negligent or malicious conduct. While no amount of money can replace a life, surviving family members can find justice — and peace of mind– by pursuing a wrongful death lawsuit.
Damages You Can Recover in a Personal Injury Lawsuit in San Jose
While each case is unique, there are generally two types of damages available through a personal injury lawsuit, economic and non-economic damages:
- Economic damages compensate injury victims for actual losses that can be quantified, such as lost wages, past and future medical costs, property damage and other losses.
- Non-economic damages are designed to cover losses such as pain and suffering, permanent disability, disfigurement, loss of limbs, and loss of enjoyment of life.
Finally, if the at-fault party’s conduct was particularly egregious, such as driving under the influence, punitive damages may also be awarded. Such damages are designed to punish the responsible party’s misconduct; however, an award for punitive damages must bear a reasonable relationship to the compensatory damages awarded to the plaintiff.
How long do I have to file a personal injury claim in San Jose?
It is important to act quickly because there is a two-year time limit from the date of the accident or injury — referred to as the statute of limitations — to file a personal injury lawsuit. If your claim is against a public entity or employee, you must file a written Notice of Claim within 6 months of the accident.
Contact Our San Jose Personal Injury Lawyer
The personal injury attorneys at J&Y Law have a well-earned reputation for providing our clients with aggressive legal representation, regardless of the size of a case. We will take the time to understand the circumstances surrounding your accident case and work tirelessly to make sure you obtain meaningful compensation. In addition, we handle all personal injury cases on a contingency basis, which means that you will not pay any attorneys’ fees until we win your case. Dedicated to protecting the rights of the injured, we will offer you compassion, knowledge and the personal attention you deserve. Please contact our office today for a free consultation.