Wrong-way driving accidents are among the most dangerous events one can encounter. When such a terrible event occurs, victims and their families are often left with the devastating aftermath and expensive hospital bills. That is why J&Y Law Firm in Los Angeles aggressively fights for victims’ rights.
Tragically, just recently a 25-year-old Los Angeles man was arrested for DUI and murder after he allegedly drove the wrong way on the 10 Freeway, crashing head-on into another car and killing the other driver. Even more disturbingly, the driver that caused the crash was driving with a 5-year-old girl and a 22-year-old woman as passengers and the 5-year-old girl was not protected by any safety equipment in the car at the time of the crash at 4:38am. (source)
Drivers like this are menaces to decent people and we fight for victims who experience such injustices.
What Constitutes Wrong-Way Driving?
Wrong-way driving refers to situations where a motorist drives against the flow of traffic, particularly on highways with two lanes or more. This dangerous maneuver can be intentional or due to a driver’s oversight or medical emergency, but it invariably places everyone on the road at significant risk.
What Are The Main Causes of Wrong-Way Driving Accidents?
- Impaired Judgment
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a leading cause. Such substances impair a driver’s cognition, making them more prone to making hazardous decisions like entering highways from an exit ramp.
- Inadequate Signage
- Sometimes, accidents occur due to unclear or missing road signs. Drivers unfamiliar with an area may mistakenly enter a road in the wrong direction, believing they’re on the correct path.
- Distraction & Fatigue
- Tired or distracted drivers may not notice or misinterpret directional signs, leading to unintentional wrong-way entry onto highways.
- Elderly Drivers
- Some older drivers, especially those with cognitive issues, can become disoriented and mistakenly drive in the wrong direction.
Other Effects of Wrong-Way Driving Accidents
- High-Speed Collisions
- Given that many of these incidents occur on highways, the resulting accidents often involve high-speed collisions, leading to catastrophic injuries or fatalities.
- Chain-Reaction Accidents
- A wrong-way crash can trigger a series of secondary accidents as other drivers swerve or brake abruptly to avoid the initial collision.
- Trauma and Long-Term Implications
- Survivors often face long-term physical and emotional challenges, from chronic pain and disability to PTSD and other psychological disorders.
Legal Recourse for Victims
Victims of wrong-way driving accidents in Los Angeles and California have the right to seek compensation for their injuries and losses. By filing a lawsuit, you can potentially recover damages for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. You can contact us today to learn more about the process for no cost to you.
To mitigate the risk of wrong-way driving incidents we believe the following would are needed:
- Public Awareness Campaigns: Spreading awareness about the dangers and repercussions can lead to a more cautious driving community.
- Enhanced Signage: Installing larger, clearer, and reflective signs at entry and exit points can prevent accidental wrong-way entries.
- Engineering Solutions: Designing roads with safety barriers or ramp modifications can deter wrong-way movements.
Contact A Los Angeles Wrong Way Driver Accident Lawyer
Wrong-way driving remains a significant threat on Los Angeles roads, causing devastating accidents and life-altering consequences. As experts in the legal aspects of these incidents, we understand how to help you get the compensation you deserve. You can contact one of our Los Angeles car accident attorneys today to get started. The initial consultation is free and you don’t have to pay anything unless you win. Contact our office today.