A man reviewing an insurance policy.

Will Insurance Cover My Injury?

profile photo
By Yosi Yahoudai
Founder and Managing Partner

If you are injured in California, you have several options for getting the costs associated with your injury covered by insurance. At J&Y Law, we routinely are asked questions from our clients about whether insurance will cover their injuries or whether they will be forced to pay for the costs of their injury out of pocket. Read on to learn more about the many ways insurance can cover the costs associated with your injury.

What Are the Different Types of Insurance That Can Cover My Injury?

When you are injured in California, there are many different types of insurance you can potentially use to get the costs of your medical bills paid while you are waiting for your personal injury lawsuit case to go to trial or get settled. Two kinds many people are familiar with is private insurance, like the kind you get through your employer, and government insurance like Medi-Cal. Our clients are often surprised to learn that additional sources of insurance to cover your medical costs can be found in renter’s and homeowner’s insurance policies, which frequently contain clauses covering the insured person for medical costs they themselves suffer or inflict on others.

What if I Have More Than One Insurance Policy?

It is not unusual for people to have more than one insurance policy, and in these situations, the question quickly becomes how much the different policies will cover. In these situations, it is absolutely essential that you hire an experienced California personal injury attorney who is familiar with many different kinds of policies and how they work with each other. While you generally want to submit your claims to all of your insurance providers who could potentially reimburse you, there are times when you will not want to submit certain claims to your insurer. At J&Y Law, we frequently advise clients with different kinds of insurance policies as to which they should submit claims.

Does My Insurer Get Any Money if I Win My Case?

If your insurer covers the costs of your bills or of your lawsuit, they may be entitled to the proceeds or settlement amount of your lawsuit if you win your case. Sometimes, your insurer can bring a case on your behalf if you are unable to do so, however, you should always be wary when they offer to do this as your insurance company has different goals than you do. Your insurance company wants to be paid, while you want compensation for your injury that allows you to get back to as normal and full a life as possible. Always consult with an experienced personal injury attorney even if an insurance company offers to bring a case on your behalf to make sure your interests are being adequately represented in court.

Questions About How Insurance Works With Your Personal Injury Lawsuit?

Working with insurance can be very complicated, especially if you need insurance to cover your medical or litigation costs associated with your personal injury. At J&L Law, we have extensive experience advising and representing our California personal injury clients on the best approach to submitting claims to and working with insurance companies. No matter what, we will make sure your interests are upheld both in court and to insurance companies. Contact us today.

author photo
About the Author
Yosi Yahoudai is a founder and the managing partner of J&Y. His practice is comprised primarily of cases involving automobile and motorcycle accidents, but he also represents people in premises liability lawsuits, including suits alleging dangerous conditions of public property, third-party criminal conduct, and intentional torts. He also has expertise in cases involving product defects, dog bites, elder abuse, and sexual assault. He earned his Bachelor of Arts from the University of California and is admitted to practice in all California State Courts, and the United States District Court for the Southern District of California. If you have any questions about this article, you can contact Yosi by clicking here.