What Kind Of Compensation May I Be Entitled to After a Car Accident?
- Jan 15 2021
If you’ve been recently injured in a California car accident, you might be worried about how you will recover.
Are financial concerns weighing heavily as you attempt to focus on emotional and physical healing? Do you find yourself wondering, “Can I get financial help for my expenses?”, or “What kind of compensation am I entitled to after a car accident?”
Only a personal injury attorney can answer those questions based on your accident’s unique circumstances. However, if your car accident was caused by another party’s willful or negligent actions, you may have recourse.
Experienced California personal injury attorneys help car accident victims pursue financial compensation for their injuries, providing much-needed resources for recovery.
How to Get Compensation After a California Car Accident
There are three ways to get compensated for damages after a California car accident:
- Personal auto insurance claims
- The other party’s auto insurance
- A lawsuit against the at-fault party
Generally, car accident victims begin claims for damages starting with their personal auto insurance company and then proceeding with claims against other involved parties.
Filing A First Party Claim
As soon as possible after your car crash, you will want to file a claim with your insurance company, known as a first-party claim. Your insurance company is the first source of funds to pay costs associated with your car accident. Depending on your insurance coverage, these costs may include:
- Property damage: damage to your vehicle
- Medical expenses: medical costs up to your policy limit
Suppose your insurance policy does not cover your costs entirely. In that case, you may seek the help of a qualified personal injury attorney to pursue other types of compensation against other drivers involved in the accident.
Additionally, depending on your accident specifics, you may be entitled to damages for more than just property and medical expenses.
Two Types of Compensation Following a California Car Crash
Depending on whether the loss has a dollar value or subjective value, you will be seeking damages falling into the categories of either economic or non-economic compensation.
Economic Damages: The basis for almost every personal injury claim begins with actual financial loss. These losses have a concrete dollar value that is sought to be recovered.
- Medical costs: emergency medical care, surgery costs, prescriptions.
- Rehabilitation costs: physical therapy, medical aids, and devices such as wheelchairs, artificial limbs, and breathing apparatus.
- Future Medical expenses: long term medical expenses in severe injury cases involving traumatic brain injury, paralysis, or life support measures.
- Lost wages: lost income, immediate and future, resulting from the accident or injuries sustained in the accident
Non-economic Damages: Victims may also solicit damages for non-economic losses after a car accident. Often, victims and their loved ones suffer tremendously from post-accident emotional and relational changes following a car accident.
- Pain and Suffering: Ongoing physical and emotional distress after a car accident can greatly interfere with a return to normalcy. Psychological and physiological problems may result in chronic suffering of victims and their loved ones,
- Loss of Consortium: The loss of companionship in marital and familial roles may be compensated by the courts as well.
Contact a California Personal Injury Attorney Today
Car accidents inflict a tremendous burden on victims and their families. Fortunately, California law allows relief through personal injury claims, holding at-fault parties accountable, and offering an avenue for compensation to injury victims. If you or someone you love has suffered the aftermath of a car crash, you are not alone.
For help filing a personal injury lawsuit following your California car accident, contact our office today. Our skilled legal team, led by your highly qualified California personal injury attorney, will fight to win the compensation you deserve while you focus on healing and recovery. Contact our office today.
Posted in: Car Accident