What can you do to reduce your risk while driving in storms this winter?
Winter is coming…in fact, for those in Los Angeles; winter may as well be here already given the abundance of rain we’ve been receiving. As is typical this time of year, new rains bring a slew of new car accidents.
In one night alone, November 21, 2016, Los Angeles drivers fell victim to over 200 automobile accidents between the hours of 9 pm and 1 am. This included a jack-knifed big rig towing two trailers that effectively shut down the eastbound San Bernardino Freeway in Pomona. With
How can you avoid automobile accidents this winter?
While Los Angeles drivers will never experience the joys and pitfalls of winter blizzards, there are still plenty of hazards that can be avoided with a little care. Before things get colder and wetter, take some time to do the following:
- Winterize your car – this includes topping off antifreeze, installing new wiper blades, topping off the washer fluid and ensuring your tires are pumped up and have plenty of tread.
- Prepare an Emergency Kit – every care should be equipped with an emergency kit that includes flashlights, jumper cables, water and snacks, and of course, a first aid kit.
- Slow Down – never underestimate the amount of water on the road or the presence of black ice when temperatures drop. Slower speeds means fewer accidents and less severe injuries.
- Increase Your Following Distance – adding as little as one car length more in front of you can dramatically decrease your risk of accidents by giving you more time to respond and more room to maneuver.
- Accident or Breakdown? Stay in your car – if you have been involved in an accident, or if your car breaks down, avoid the temptation to get out and assess damage or try to fix anything. Pedestrians are hit on the road far too often. Staying in your car can save your life.
- Check the Weather and Be Flexible – maintaining flexibility in your travel schedule can go a long way in avoiding situations where you are driving in bad weather. If it looks too dangerous to drive, do not put yourself at unnecessary risk.
Have you been injured in an automobile accident?
If you or someone you love has been injured in an automobile accident, you need the advice of an experienced personal injury attorney. The law firm of J&Y offers experienced and aggressive representation to auto accident victims in Los Angeles, San Diego, and throughout the State of California. Contact us today for a free consultation at 888.806.6722.