Accidents, whether on the road or with pedestrians, happen every day in the state of California. Although both pedestrians and drivers can be injured, pedestrians are at increased risk of more injuries because they are more physically exposed in the event of an accident. If you or a loved one has been injured as a pedestrian or in a car accident, contact our California car accident attorney today for help.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 54,769 pedestrians were injured in 2020. Common causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- The failure of a motorist to yield right of way to a pedestrian
- Crossing a road improperly, also known as jaywalking
- Being in a roadway while working, standing, waiting to cross the street
- Playing in the street
- Running into the street
- Distractions such as texting, making phone calls
- Being on a road where pedestrians should not be walking
- Poor weather conditions, objects on the road, or other road hazards
Pedestrian accidents may lead to serious injuries, which can include broken bones, head, back and neck injuries, trauma, and much more.
In 2020 the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration also reported 5,250,837 police-reported car crashes. Passenger cars and light trucks were the vehicles most commonly involved in these incidents. Common causes of these accidents are:
- Failure to wear a seat belt
- Driving while under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or medication
- Distracted driving
- Poor visibility or road conditions
- Failure to adhere to traffic signals
Car accidents, like pedestrian accidents, can lead to serious injuries. In addition, victims may suffer property damage to their vehicles and personal items.
How to Stay Safe
You can avoid some accidents if you follow prudent safety practices, which include:
- Be alert to other vehicles around you- don’t drive or cross a while engaging in texting, adjusting a screen, or while otherwise distracted
- If you are walking at night, consider wearing reflective strips or clothing
- Do not cross a road other in designated crosswalks
- Never drive while under the influence
- Use sidewalks and do not walk in a roadway
- Make sure you and all passengers in your car are using proper seatbelts or restraints
Unfortunately, even the safest individuals can get into an accident while following these safety tips. You should seek immediate medical attention if this happens to you, follow all medical protocols and get all recommended follow-up treatment. You should also speak with an experienced accident attorney.
Speak With an Attorney Promptly
If you have questions about pedestrian or car accident injuries, speak with an experienced attorney as soon as possible. You may have a claim for your medical expenses, loss of income, property damage, and pain and suffering. The time frame for bringing a personal injury claim in California is two years, with certain exceptions. Our attorneys understand the importance of promptly addressing your claim. Contact us today for a free consultation.