What are the most common personal injury claims?
Accidents are one of the leading causes of injury and death across the United States. More than 400,000 personal injury claims are filed across the nation each year. Some of the most common types of personal injury cases in California and beyond include:
- Car accidents: Car accidents are a top cause of personal injury claims. Motor vehicle accidents can leave victims with serious and potentially costly injuries. If you are injured in a car accident due to the negligence of another driver, you may be able to file suit against the other driver for your injuries and property damage.
- Slip and falls: Slip and falls can happen due to dangerous conditions on another person or company’s property. Slick floors, cracks in the sidewalk, and unsafe stairwells can all lead to slip and falls for which the accident victim may be able to seek compensation from the property owner. If you are injured in a slip and fall, you should consult with a Los Angeles slip and fall accident attorney for information on your legal rights.
- Medical malpractice: We rely on doctors and medical professionals to care for us when we are ill or injured. Medical negligence is far more common than most of us realize, injuring and killing hundreds of thousands of people annually. If you are injured by a medical professional due to negligence, you may be entitled to seek compensation from the negligent doctor or hospital.
- Defective products: When you purchase a product, you expect it to work in the manner it is intended. A product that is defective or comes with inadequate instruction can cause serious injuries. The makers of defective products may be liable for injuries inflicted in a products liability lawsuit.
- Workplace accidents: Accidents happen each day in workplaces across California. Many accidents will be covered by workers’ compensation, but under some circumstances, the injured employee may have a viable personal injury claim against a negligent third party.
These are just a few of the most common types of personal injury cases. If you are injured in an accident and have questions about your legal rights, contact a California personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.