Common Truck Accident Injuries
Truck accidents can be devastating to the occupants of a smaller vehicle. While some injury victims may be able to walk away with scrapes and bruises, truck accident injuries often include catastrophic brain and spine injuries and fatalities. If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, you have the right to file a personal injury lawsuit to recover compensation. The best decision you can make to protect your rights and your health is to consult an experienced California truck accident attorney.
At J&Y Law, our practice is dedicated to helping injury victims throughout northern and southern California. Well-versed in the applicable state and federal truck safety laws, our legal team has a proven history of helping truck accident victims obtain meaningful compensation. From fractures to lacerations to brain injuries to wrongful death, our truck accident attorneys believe that negligent trucking companies and truck drivers must be held accountable. When you become our client, you will have peace of mind knowing that we will never stop fighting for you.
Common Injuries in Los Angeles Truck Accidents
Truck accidents are more likely to result in serious injuries and fatalities than car accidents and are far more dangerous to the occupants of a smaller vehicle than to the truck driver. Common truck accident injuries include:
- Head injuries — Head injuries typically occur in truck collisions. While the majority of head injuries arising from traffic accidents are concussions, truck accidents are more likely to result in skull fractures or even permanent brain damage. Fractures to facial bones are also common in truck accidents, often due to the impact of the crash or airbag injuries.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) — A moderate or severe TBI requires immediate emergency care to ensure that the brain has an adequate blood and oxygen supply. Additionally, surgery is often necessary to prevent injuries from worsening or minimize damage caused by inflammation, bleeding or lack of oxygen.
- Spinal cord injuries — Injuries to the spinal cord after a truck accident can result in partial or total paralysis. Depending on the location of the injury on the spine, the damage may cause paraplegia (impairment of the lower limbs) or quadriplegia (diminished capability in all four limbs). Spinal cord injuries often result in the need for lifelong care which can be an emotional and financial burden.
- Back injuries — In addition to spinal cord injuries, less severe back injuries can cause damage to the bones and soft tissue, resulting in chronic pain and impairment.
- Neck injuries — The sudden impact of a truck accident can result in whiplash, one of the most common neck injuries in motor vehicle accidents, but the force of a truck collision can also result in a broken neck or injuries to the muscles, joints, and ligaments.
- Fractures — Truck accidents can cause fractures to the ribs, arms, legs, skull, face or any part of the body. While fractures can be treated with casts and physical therapy, compound fractures often require surgery. Some fractures may never heal correctly, however, causing lasting impairments to the victim.
- Burns — Burn injuries can occur if a truck is carrying hazardous materials or as the result of a fuel tank explosion. Burns may cause scarring and permanent disfigurement which can also be extremely painful, leaving victims vulnerable to infection and other complications.
- Wrongful Death — Given the weight of a typical commercial truck or tractor-trailer, truck accidents are more likely to result in death than other motor vehicle accidents.
Who can be held liable for a truck accident?
Depending on the circumstances, the trucking company, the truck driver, or both may be held liable for injuries. State and federal laws require trucking companies to maintain and inspect their vehicles while truckers must abide by rules that limit travel times and that require rest breaks. At J&Y Law, we routinely collaborate with a network of investigators and accident reconstruction specialists to determine the cause of truck accidents. Above all, we will fight to help you obtain meaningful compensation for the harm you have endured.
Contact Our California Truck Accident Attorney
Being injured or losing a loved one in a truck accident is an overwhelming experience, and even more so when the accident was caused by a negligent trucking company or truck driver. After a truck accident, the trucking company will often send their investigators to the accident scene in an effort to limit their liability. Backed by insurance companies and powerful teams of attorneys, trucking companies have an unfair advantage over truck accident victims.
J&Y Law has the knowledge and skill to level the playing field and fight back. We will see to it that you receive the medical care that you need and the compensation you deserve. If you have been injured in a truck accident you may be entitled to damages for lost wages, medical expenses, loss of earning capacity, pain and suffering and other losses. Regardless of the circumstances, you can count on J&Y to provide you with powerful representation and caring personal service. Please contact our office to learn how we can help.