Construction work in Anaheim is inherently dangerous and accidents often result in serious injuries. While construction workers are typically covered by Workers’ Compensation Insurance, a personal injury lawsuit can be filed if a construction accident is the result of safety violations or third-party negligence. If you have been injured in a construction accident in Anaheim, you need an experienced personal injury attorney by your side.
At J&Y Law, we believe that injured construction workers should not be forced to suffer because of the another’s negligence. Because a number of parties are typically involved in construction sites, from property owners to contractors to other third parties, determining who is at fault can be difficult. Our Anaheim construction accident attorneys have the knowledge and experience that are necessary for pursuing successful claims. When you come to J&Y, you can rest assured we will fight to help you obtain meaningful compensation.
Construction’s Fatal Four
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has identified the leading causes of construction site fatalities, known as the Fatal Four:
- Falls — Construction workers in Anaheim are at a high risk of falls, whether from ladders, scaffolding, roofs, or other heights. According to OSHA, falls are the most common construction accident, accounting for about 38 percent of fatalities.
- Struck by object — Improperly secured tools, equipment, and construction material can fall, striking workers below. Being struck by an object is the cause of more than 9 percent of fatalities.
- Caught-in/between — These accidents occur when construction workers get caught between or compressed by equipment, machinery or objects, or trapped under collapsing structures. These accidents are responsible responsible for over 7 percent of construction worker fatalities.
- Electrocutions — Construction workers are frequently exposed to wires which places them at a high risk of electrocution, causing over 8 percent of deaths in the construction industry.
In addition to the Fatal Four, other common construction accidents in Anaheim include:
- Trench Collapses — Construction workers are routinely required to dig trenches that are at risk of cave-ins if proper precautions are not taken.
- Fires and Explosions – Hazards such as exposed wiring, leaking pipes, flammable chemicals, fractured gas mains, or unattended blow torches and welding tools often cause fires and explosions.
- Equipment Accidents – Heavy machinery and power tools, such as table saws, nail guns, drills, etc., as well as cranes, forklifts, and dumpsters, contribute to numerous construction accidents and injuries.
Common Anaheim Construction Accident Injuries:
Construction accidents in Anaheim can lead to serious injuries, such as:
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries
- Head and brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Knee injuries
- Muscle and ligament tears
- Broken bones and fractures
- Heart attacks and strokes
- Wrongful death
Serious injuries may require the amputation of fingers, toes, or limbs. In addition, construction workers are at an increased risk of respiratory illnesses as a result of exposure to dust, asbestos, and other toxic substances.
Legal Rights of Construction Workers
Although construction workers are required to perform a variety of dangerous tasks, injury risks can be minimized if safety practices are put in place, workers are provided with protection (hard hats, safety belts, harnesses, nets) and proper protocols are followed. It is worth noting that workers’ compensation is designed to protect construction workers who sustain injuries, by providing benefits such as lost wages and medical costs.
When a construction accident in Anaheim is the result of negligence, however, an injured construction worker can also pursue a personal injury lawsuit against negligent parties — owners, general contractors, subcontractors, engineers, architects, machinery and equipment manufacturers, as well as insurers. In the event that a worker is killed in a construction accident, surviving family members can also pursue a wrongful death lawsuit.
Anaheim Construction Accident Attorneys
At J&Y Law, we are dedicated to protecting the rights of injured construction workers. Knowing that site owners, insurance companies, and other responsible parties will take great measures to avoid liability. Our legal team leverages its legal knowledge and skills to ensure our clients receive the full value of their claims. If you or a loved one has been injured in a construction accident in Anaheim, we know how to help you obtain meaningful compensation.
If your claims prevail, you may be awarded economic and noneconomic damages. Economic damages are designed to cover actual losses, such as wages, future income and medical expenses while economic damages compensate victims for pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life and other losses that cannot be quantified. In the event a loved one has been killed in a construction accident, we will determine if there are grounds for a wrongful death lawsuit. Above all, we will always put your best interests first and never stop fighting for you. Please contact our office as soon as possible. The consultation is free, and you will not pay any attorneys’ fees until we win your case.