Los Angeles Speeding Truck Accident Attorney
At J&Y Law, we believe that truck drivers must be held accountable for injuries arising from speeding truck accidents. If you or a loved one has been injured due to the negligence or recklessness of a truck driver, you may be entitled to substantial compensation. Our truck accident lawyer will thoroughly investigate the accident to prove that the truck driver was speeding and demand full payment of your claim.
When you become our client, you can rest assured that your rights will be protected. We have the negotiating and trial skills to win you the maximum compensation you deserve, at the bargaining table or in the courtroom. Please contact our office today so we can start working on your claim.
Speeding and Truck Accident Fatalities
Speeding on California roadways is inherently dangerous, especially for commercial truck and tractor-trailer drivers. The gross weight of a typical truck shortens the time a speeding truck driver has to react to road conditions. Also, bringing a large truck or big rig to a complete stop requires a longer braking distance, which means truckers must drive at or below the speed limit.
When a speeding truck accident occurs, the results can be catastrophic for occupants of smaller vehicles. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), speeding is the leading driver-related factor in fatal truck accidents.
Because truck drivers must meet strict delivery deadlines and cover long distances, and because they are often paid based on mileage, truckers frequently speed to make as many deliveries as possible. In any event, speeding truck drivers jeopardize the safety of other motorists for several reasons, including:
- Trucks take longer to stop — A typical commercial truck significantly outweighs a passenger vehicle and takes as much as 20 to 30 percent more distance to stop. A speeding truck driver will not have sufficient time to respond to road and traffic conditions, particularly if a driver ahead suddenly brakes.
- Turning is more difficult — Traveling at a high rate of speed can make it difficult for truck drivers to handle turns, which can cause them to veer into vehicles in adjacent lanes or overcorrect into other drivers.
- Shifting cargo — Speeding can cause the truck’s cargo to shift, making the vehicle more difficult to maneuver, ultimately resulting in a rollover or jackknife truck accident.
- High-impact collisions — A speeding truck can cause a high-impact collision, which may result in catastrophic injuries and increases the likelihood of fatalities.
When truck drivers ignore speed limits or trucking companies force drivers to meet unreasonable delivery deadlines, it takes an experienced truck accident attorney to hold them accountable. That’s where J&Y comes in. We will take legal action to help you recover just compensation for the harm you have endured.
How Much Is My Claim Worth?
If you have been injured in a collision with a speeding truck driver, you are entitled to various types of compensation, including:
- Medical expenses (past and future)
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability
- Loss of enjoyment of life
If you have lost a loved one in a speeding truck accident, you have a right to pursue a wrongful death lawsuit to recover compensation for loss of companionship, support and services, funeral and burial expenses, and other losses. While no amount of money can replace a life, pursuing legal action can help hold the negligent party accountable and provide you with solace.
Proving the Truck Driver Was Speeding
Because trucking companies and their insurance companies dispatch their investigators to a speeding truck accident scene, it is crucial to have an experienced attorney in your corner. Knowing that the trucking company’s attorneys will attempt to deny any liability, the legal team at J&Y will work to establish the truck driver’s negligence by:
- Collecting evidence, including photographing the damaged vehicles and the accident scene (e.g. skid marks)
- Reviewing traffic control video of the accident scene
- Identifying and interviewing witnesses, including parties involved in the accident and law enforcement
- Obtaining and reviewing data from the truck’s GPS navigation system and electronic black box
- Obtaining the driver’s personnel file and other information about his or her driving and safety record
- Collecting information from the trucking company (e.g. maintenance schedules, odometer mileage, fuel receipts, logbooks)
- Working with accident reconstruction specialists to determine the point of impact and its severity
By conducting a thorough investigation, we will work to build a successful claim. Depending on the circumstances, it may be possible to hold the truck driver, the trucking company, and/or third parties accountable. The trucking company may be held liable if we can show that it failed to vet or train the driver or properly maintain the vehicle.
Similarly, if defective brakes, faulty tires, or another malfunction contributed to the accident, the part manufacturer can also be held liable. Trust our speeding truck accident attorney to hold all negligent parties accountable and fight for the maximum compensation you deserve.
Contact An Experienced California Speeding Truck Accident Attorney Today
Being injured in a truck accident is overwhelming. The loss of income, mounting medical expenses, and pain and suffering can turn your world upside down. Let J&Y handle your truck accident claim and help you right this wrong. Please contact our office today for a free consultation.