A sideswipe accident involving a commercial truck and a car can have catastrophic consequences for the occupants of the smaller vehicle. While sideswipe truck accidents can happen for several reasons, they are usually the result of truck driver errors that can prove dangerous or even fatal for others on the roadway. If you or a loved one has been injured in a sideswipe truck accident, turn to J&Y Law.
When you become our client, you will receive trustworthy advice from an experienced California truck accident attorney. Our highly regarded legal team will handle all the details of your claim and fight tirelessly to protect your rights.
Knowing that a sideswipe truck accident can cause lasting physical, emotional, and financial harm, we will leverage our skills and experience to help you obtain the maximum compensation you deserve. At J&Y Law, we handle all personal injury cases on a contingency basis, which means you pay nothing to us until we recover for you. Please contact our office today for a free consultation.
How Sideswipe Truck Accidents Happen in California
A sideswipe accident occurs when the side of a truck collides with (or “swipes”) the side of another vehicle. Also referred to as a “blind spot accident” or a “glancing blow,” these accidents often happen during lane changes and mergers or when a truck sideswipes a vehicle approaching from the opposite direction.
Tractor-trailers have a higher risk of being involved in a sideswipe accident than a car or other smaller passenger vehicle due to inherent risks such as:
- Blind spots — Trucks and tractor-trailers have larger blind spots along the sides and rear that can conceal vehicles traveling next to them, making it more likely that truck drivers will swerve into another vehicle when attempting to change lanes.
- High winds — The height of a tractor-trailer puts the truck at risk of being blown into neighboring lanes by high winds, particularly when the trailer is unloaded. Truck drivers are required to respond to road and weather conditions and can be at fault for a sideswipe accident if speeding or driving recklessly in high winds.
- Tire blowouts — Tractor-trailers have a combination of 8 tires on the trailer and 10 tires on the tractor, even a single tire blowout can cause the trucker to lose control and sideswipe other vehicles.
Truck drivers must have special training to maneuver big rigs and trucking companies are required to ensure that they do. Nonetheless, sideswipe truck accidents can occur if a trucker makes a dangerous lane change or allows the vehicle to drift into other lanes of traffic. In any event, sideswipe accidents are often the result of truck driver errors such as:
- Distracted driving
- Not anticipating lane mergers
- Not properly signaling lane changes
- Failure to keep the truck in a single traffic lane
- Improperly adjusted mirrors
- Fatigue or drowsiness
- Reckless driving
In particular, a sideswipe accident can occur if the truck driver:
- Fails to check mirrors or signal before changing lanes
- Overreacts to an obstacle on the road and collides with another vehicle
- Become distracted or drowsy and drifts across traffic lanes
- Loses control while speeding
Regardless of the cause, a sideswipe accident can result in the victim’s vehicle being crushed by the truck or forced off the road, potentially suffering catastrophic and/or fatal injuries.
What to Do After a Sideswipe Truck Accident
If you have been injured in a sideswipe truck accident, call the police, and immediately get medical attention for your injuries. If possible, gather contact information from any witnesses to the crash, and take photos of the truck, the accident scene, and damage to your vehicle. The best way to obtain the support you need to recover damages is to contact an experienced California truck accident attorney.
Given the size and weight of a truck or tractor-trailer, victims of sideswipe truck accidents can sustain serious injuries, including:
- Head and neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Loss of limb
- Wrongful death
Such injuries can prove costly financially and also become a significant emotional burden for victims and their families. Unfortunately, insurance providers often dispute injury claims arising from sideswipe truck accidents. The best way to obtain the compensation you need and deserve is to have an experienced truck accident attorney in your corner.
J&Y Law attorneys have the skills, experience, and determination to fight for your right to just compensation including:
- Lost wages
- Medical expenses (present and future)
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability
- Rehabilitative care
- Loss of enjoyment of lif
If a loved one has died in a sideswipe truck accident, we can help you seek justice through a wrongful death lawsuit. Though no amount of money can ever replace a life, you deserve to be compensated for the loss of support and care your loved one would have provided if not for the negligence of a truck driver or trucking company.
Contact Our Experienced California Sideswipe Truck Accident Attorneys
At J&Y Law, we have a proven history of helping our clients achieve significant settlements and jury awards, having recovered millions of dollars for injury victims. The sooner you contact our office, the sooner we can start working on your sideswipe truck accident claim.