U-Haul truck accidents are becoming increasingly common in California. In some cases, inexperienced drivers don’t know how to operate large rental trucks, leading to accidents. Also, U-Haul may be liable for improper maintenance or other negligent conduct. If you or a loved one has suffered injuries in a U-Haul accident, turn to J&Y Law.
We have extensive experience negotiating and litigating rental truck accidents, including those involving U-Haul. When you work with us, we will fight to protect your rights and charge no attorney fees until we win compensation for you. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Causes of California U-Haul Truck Accidents
Like other rental truck accidents, driver errors are a leading reason for U-Haul accidents, such as:
- Distracted driving – texting while driving
- Fatigued driving
- Turning without signaling
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Running stop signs/red lights
Additionally, drivers with little or no experience operating commercial trucks cause U-Haul accidents by:
- Turning too sharply and tipping over
- Incorrectly loading the bed truck, causing poor weight distribution and rollovers
- Failing to properly stop the truck
Finally, U-Haul may not properly maintain or inspect their fleet of trucks, resulting in accidents caused by mechanical failures or defects, such as:
- Brake failure
- Hitch detachments
- Defective brake lights
- Improperly filled tires
- Faulty steering
- Defective wiring
U-Haul accident liability varies depending on the circumstances. If the rental truck driver was inexperienced or reckless and caused the accident, they may be liable. However, U-Haul may also be responsible for negligent entrustment if the company knowingly rented a vehicle to an inexperienced, unlicensed, or uninsured driver. U-Haul may also be at fault for failing to maintain, inspect, or replace trucks with mechanical failures (e.g. defective brakes, brake lights, hitches, and steering columns).
Finally, the part manufacturer may be held liable through a product liability lawsuit if a mechanical defect causes an accident. In short, the driver, U-Haul, or a third party, may be liable. It takes an experienced U-Haul accident attorney to sort through all the details, identify the responsible party and hold them accountable.
U-Haul Insurance Coverage
U-Haul truck renters must have their own auto insurance. If they are responsible for accidents or damages, their auto insurance policy will be the primary source of coverage. Additionally, U-Haul offers insurance packages to supplement customers’ liability policies:
- Safemove (U-Haul’s insurance) provides (1) a damage waiver for accidents that result in damage to the rental equipment and (2) medical and life protection to the lessee and any passengers in the cab of the rental truck.
- Safemove Plus provides (1) all of the above and (2) $1,000,000 in supplemental liability insurance for claims made by third parties against the lessee for bodily injury, death, and property damage.
Whether your claim involves the truck renter’s auto insurance policy or coverage available through U-Haul, going up against an insurance company is challenging. Insurers often attempt to deny or delay valid claims. At J&Y, we will handle all negotiations with the insurance company and take them to court if they refuse to pay the full value of your claim.
U-Haul Accident Injuries
U-Haul vehicles are much larger than passenger vehicles, and a collision can result in all types of injuries, including:
- Cuts and lacerations
- Broken bones
- Head and neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Nerve damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Loss of limb (e.g, amputation)
- Wrongful death
If you have suffered injuries in a U-Haul accident, the best way to protect your rights is to work with an experienced personal injury attorney.
Why Choose Us?
You can trust J&Y to handle all the details of your claim, including:
- Investigating the accident site
- Obtaining and reviewing the police report
- Identifying and interviewing witnesses, including the truck driver
- Recovering surveillance video
- Subpoenaing U-Haul’s maintenance and inspection records
- Take over communications with the insurance companies and opposing counsel
We have the negotiating skills to obtain a fair settlement and the trial skills to win a favorable jury verdict. Rest assured, we will not back down and will fight hard for every dollar you deserve.
Damages We Will Fight For
Our experienced U-Haul accident lawyer will fight compensation that includes economic and non-economic damages, such as:
- Medical expenses
- Rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages – present and future
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability/disfigurement
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Attorney fees and court costs
We have a proven history of achieving positive outcomes, having recovered millions of dollars on behalf of our clients.
Contact a California U-Haul Accident Lawyer Today!
After a U-Haul truck accident, the first thing to do is contact the police and seek medical attention. Then talk to the attorneys at J&Y Law. When you become our client, we will provide you with aggressive representation and get you just compensation. Contact us today for a free consultation.