Rental truck accidents are common in California, often resulting in serious injuries. Identifying the responsible party and holding them accountable is challenging. That’s where J&Y Law comes in. If you or a loved one has suffered injuries in a rental truck accident, we can help.
When you work with us, an experienced rental truck accident attorney will handle all the details of your claim and fight for the compensation you deserve. We offer free consultations, and there is never a fee until we recover for you. Contact us today so we can start working on your claim.
Determining Liability in a California Rental Truck Accident
Several rental truck companies operate in California:
- United Rentals
- Enterprise Rent-A-Truck
- Budget Truck Rental
- Ryder Rental Truck Company
In some cases, inexperienced renters (drivers) are at fault in rental truck accidents. They may be familiar with the limited rear visibility, less maneuverability, and increased braking time involved in operating a truck. If the driver’s error caused your rental truck accident, your claim will be against that driver and their insurance company, or the insurer that provided coverage through the truck rental company.
The rental truck company in Los Angeles may also be at fault under the following circumstances:
- Negligent entrustment – If the rental truck company was aware that the renter lacked the skill and capacity to operate its truck safely and the driver’s lack of skill caused the accident, victims may have a claim for negligent entrustment against the company.
- Improper maintenance – A rental truck company that fails to make needed repairs or maintain the truck may be liable for damages after an accident.
- Failing to conduct safety inspections – A rental truck company that fails to inspect its fleet of trucks may be liable if a truck defect caused the accident.
- Known mechanical defects – If the rental truck company knew or should have known about mechanical defects in the truck, then the company may be liable. However, if the defects were due to a malfunctioning or defective truck component, then the part manufacturer may also be held responsible.
Why You Need a Rental Truck Accident Attorney
Given the challenges of determining liability in a rental truck accident, working with an experienced attorney is essential. Let the team at J&Y sort through all the details, identify the responsible party, and hold them accountable. We will:
- Investigate the accident site
- Obtain and review police reports and surveillance video
- Identify and interview witnesses
- Subpoena inspection and maintenance records from the rental truck company
- Obtain and review the renter’s driving record
- Handle all communications with the insurance company and opposing counsel
We work to resolve Los Angeles rental truck accident claims through intricate and detailed negotiations and will demand full payment of your claim. If the insurance company fails to make a fair and just settlement offer, we will take your case to trial. You can trust us to fight for the maximum compensation you deserve in or out of the courtroom.
Common Rental Truck Accident Injuries
Depending on the circumstances, such as the size of the truck, the speed at which the vehicles were traveling, the road and traffic conditions in Los Angeles, and other factors, rental truck accidents can lead to serious injuries:
- Cuts and lacerations caused by shattered glass and flying debris
- Broken bones when the victim’s body impacts the interior of the vehicle
- Back and neck injuries such as whiplash or damaged vertebrae
- Head injuries in rental truck accidents can range from minor contusions to severe concussions and skull fractured
- Traumatic brain injuries when the force of the collision causes the brain to impact the skull
- Internal injuries to organs like the bladder, liver, kidney, and spleen are difficult to treat and may be life-threatening
- Spinal cord injuries that can lead to paralysis
Such injuries can lead to exorbitant medical bills, and time away from work can result in significant loss of wages. With so much at stake, you need the aggressive representation that J&Y Law provides.
Damages We Will Fight For
Our rental truck accident attorney will fight for just compensation that includes economic and non-economic damages:
- Economic damages cover your medical expenses, lost wages (present and future), property damages, and other financial losses
- Non-economic damages will compensate you for intangible losses, such as pain and suffering, permanent disability/disfigurement, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life
Punitive damages may also be awarded to punish the responsible party’s egregious or illegal conduct, for example, a renter who was under the influence of drugs or alcohol or a rental truck company that failed to conduct safety inspections.
If you have lost a loved one in a rental truck accident, we can help you file a wrongful death lawsuit to recover compensation for final medical expenses, funeral and burial expenses, and loss of companionship and support. Being injured or losing a loved one in a rental truck accident is overwhelming. You can depend on J&Y Law to get you just compensation.
Contact a California Rental Truck Accident Attorney Today!
Rental truck companies provide valuable services to DIY movers, but accidents can result in serious and fatal injuries. At J&Y Law, we have an impressive track record of achieving substantial settlements and jury awards. The sooner you contact our office, the sooner we can start working on your claim.