If you or a family member has suffered injuries in an override or underride truck accident in California, J&Y Law can help. We will identify the responsible parties, hold them accountable, and help you obtain compensation for your injuries, medical expenses, pain and suffering, and other legal damages. Contact our office today to get started with an experienced override truck accident attorney.
About Override Truck Accidents in California
Override and underride accidents occur when (1) a commercial truck drives over the back of a passenger car or (2) a car drives under the back or side of a large truck. These truck accidents typically occur at intersections, traffic signals, and stopped traffic.
Both override and underride truck accidents are dangerous, often leading to catastrophic or fatal injuries for the car driver and front-seat passenger or backseat passengers, depending on where the collision occurs. Override or underride accident victims can seek compensation from the truck driver, freight company, or other liable parties with help from an aggressive California truck accident lawyer. That’s where our firm can assist you.
We have extensive experience negotiating and litigating truck accident cases and a proven history of achieving positive outcomes both in and out of the courtroom. You can trust us to handle all the details of your claim and fight for the maximum compensation you deserve.
Reasons for Override or Underride Truck Accidents
Collisions with commercial trucks and tractor-trailers occur for several reasons. Large trucks are difficult to maneuver and require special training to operate safely. Override truck accidents in California typically occur because the truck driver, trucking company, or truck manufacturer was negligent.
Common causes of override accidents include:
- Brake failure
- Defective tires
- Failure to yield
- Improper lane changes
- Improper loading
- Inclement weather conditions (e.g. wet roads, icy roads, fog)
- Negligent truck operation (e.g. reckless driving)
- Truck driver intoxication or drowsiness
In an underride accident, the passenger car driver may have acted in a negligent manner; however, the truck driver’s negligence or a mechanical defect can also lead to an underride accident.
Common causes of underride truck accidents include:
- Passenger driver tailgating
- Distracted driving/failing to notice the truck
- Truck driver negligence – suddenly slamming the brakes, failing to use underride guards
- Defective brake lights
Regardless of the nature of your accident, you have a right to recover damages. The seasoned override truck accident attorneys at J&Y Law will work tirelessly to protect your rights. We have comprehensive knowledge of the applicable truck safety and traffic laws and an impressive track record of success, having recovered millions of dollars for truck accident victims.
Common Injuries in Override and Underride Truck Accidents
Override and underride truck accidents are dangerous collisions, often leading to severe injuries, such as:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) occur due to a violent blow to the head or if objects (e.g. shattered glass, shards of metal) pierce the skull. TBIs require immediate medical intervention and extensive rehabilitation and may result in permanent brain damage.
- Lower back injuries can impair a person’s mobility and cause permanent disabilities that require ongoing medical care.
- Whiplash occurs when the soft tissue of the neck is damaged. The violent jolt of an override or underride truck accident can strain the muscles and tissue of the neck and cause severe damage.
- Amputation (loss of limbs) may be inevitable after the force of an override or underride collision. Losing a limb impacts a truck accident victim’s quality of life and requires extensive medical interventions like rehabilitation or a prosthetic device to replace the lost limb.
- Fatal injuries can occur for the driver and front seat passenger in an underride accident and passengers in the rear in an override accident.
You deserve just compensation if you have suffered injuries or lost a loved one in an override or underride truck accident.
How J&Y Law Can Help
You can depend on our attorney to handle your claim diligently. We will conduct an extensive investigation, file all the legal paperwork, and negotiate a fair and just settlement. Above all, we will fight for compensation that includes economic and noneconomic damages, including:
- Medical expenses – present and future
- Rehabilitative costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability
- Loss of enjoyment of life
If you have lost a loved one in an override truck accident, we can file a wrongful death lawsuit to help you recover damages, such as final medical expenses and the loss of guidance and support the deceased would have provided. Regardless of your circumstances, we will provide compassionate, effective representation and emotional support during this difficult time.
Contact Our Experienced California Override Truck Accident Attorneys
At J&Y Law, we are well-known as dedicated advocates who protect the rights of truck accident victims and their families. Contact us today so we can start working on your claim.