Broken bone injuries caused by slips and falls can be debilitating. When these accidents happen on someone else’s property, injury victims have a right to file a lawsuit to recover damages. If you or a loved one has suffered broken bones because of a property owner’s negligence, you need an experienced slip and fall accident attorney at your side.
At J&Y Law, we are highly experienced in handling California slip and fall accident cases. While these claims can be settled with property insurance carriers, insurers often attempt to deny valid claims, putting profits ahead of broken bone injury victims. We know how to fight back and get you the compensation you deserve.
We offer free consultation and handle all slip and fall claims on a contingency basis, which means there is never a fee until we recover for you. Contact our office today so we can start working on your claim.
How Slip and Fall Accidents Can Cause A Broken Bone
Slip and fall accidents are common and are typically caused by hazards such as:
- Wet or slippery surfaces
- Broken steps
- Poorly secured banisters
- Torn or uneven carpeting
- Debris/obstructed walkways
- Poorly lit walkways or hallways
- Uneven or warped flooring
When slips and falls result from a property owner’s failure to correct a hazard or warn visitors about a dangerous condition, broken bone injury victims may have grounds for a premises liability lawsuit. Under California law, all property owners have a legal obligation to maintain their property, provide a safe environment to visitors, and warn them of any dangers. But it takes an experienced slip and fall attorney to hold them accountable.
That’s where J&Y Law comes in. We have a demonstrated track record of success in premises liability claims and will demand full payment of your claim. If the defendant and their insurance company refuse to make a fair and reasonable settlement offer, we will take them to court to win you the maximum compensation you deserve.
Types of Broken Bone Injuries Caused By Slips and Falls
The medical term for a broken bone is “fracture”; slip and fall accidents can cause all types of fractures, including:
- Hairline fracture – A small crack in the bone that often goes undetected in an X-ray
- Simple fracture – This type of fracture is one in which the bone does not pierce the skin
- Compound fracture – This is a more serious injury in which broken bone splinters and pushes through the skin, likely requiring surgical repair
- Avulsion fracture – This broken bone injury occurs when a piece of the bone separates or a tendon or ligament pulls away from the bone
- Buckle fracture – Instead of fracturing entirely, a bone severely bends or “buckles”
- Transverse fracture – A hard fall can result in a fracture across the bone surface and caused the bone to snap into two pieces
Minor fractures typically heal quickly; however, serious broken bone injuries usually require surgery followed by rehabilitation and extensive physical therapy. Slip and fall accident victims who suffer multiple fractures may never regain complete mobility and use of the damaged body part.
While insurance companies try to settle claims as quickly and for as little money as possible, an adept attorney will fight for the compensation that considers all of your future medical and financial needs.
How a Slip and Fall Attorney Can Help
Slip and fall accidents can be challenging, requiring immediate action before the property owner has a chance to repair the hazard that caused your fall. Once you become our client, we will handle all the details of your claim, such as:
- Examining and photographing the site of your accident
- Identifying and interviewing witnesses
- Gathering medical evidence to support your claim
- Taking overall communications with the property owner’s insurance company
- Negotiating a reasonable settlement offer
- Filing a premises liability lawsuit, if necessary
You should know that to have a viable claim, we must be able to prove that the property owner knew or reasonably should have known about the danger and failed to protect you. For this reason, it is critically important to contact us immediately if you have been injured in a slip and fall accident so that we can get to work promptly.
Damages Our Firm will Help You Recover
If you have suffered a broken bone injury in a slip and fall accident, we will fight to win you the compensation that includes economic and non-economic damages, such as:
- Lost wages
- Medical expenses – past and future
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Permanent disability
- Rehabilitative care costs
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Attorneys’ fees and costs
It is important to note that California is a pure comparative negligence state for purposes of personal injury claims. This means that you can still claim damages for a broken bone injury even if your actions contributed to the slip and fall accident; however, the total damages awarded will be reduced by the percentage of fault assigned to you.
For example, if you fractured your arm after tripping on a cracked sidewalk but you were not paying attention while you were walking, the property owner may be assigned 70 percent of fault while you are found to be 30 percent at fault. Therefore, if the total amount of damages is $50, 000, the amount of your award will be reduced by 30 percent to $35, 000. Don’t worry though because our attorneys know how to limit your liability and will fight for the maximum compensation you deserve.
Contact Our Experienced California Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys
Broken bone injuries after a slip and fall can be painful and disruptive to your lifestyle. Don’t go it alone. Contact J&Y Law today.