If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident from uneven sidewalks, turn to J&Y Law. Our practice is dedicated to protecting the rights of injury victims throughout California. Poorly maintained sidewalks are a serious threat in cities throughout the state, but determining who is responsible is challenging.
Our sidewalk accident attorneys are here to help you get the compensation you deserve. You can trust us to handle all the details of your claim so that you can focus on healing. At J&Y, we also handle injury claims on a contingency basis, which means there is never a fee until we recover for you. Contact our office today for a free consultation.
Who Is Responsible for Uneven Sidewalks in California?
While sidewalks are often adjacent to commercial and private property, most sidewalks are the responsibility of a local municipality (e.g city or country government). This means that if you have been injured on a cracked, raised, or uneven sidewalk, your claim will be against the government agency responsible for sidewalk maintenance.
To have a valid claim, you must be able to show that:
- The sidewalk was unreasonably dangerous
- The municipality knew or reasonably should have known about the hazard
- The municipality failed to repair the hazard within a reasonable time
- The municipality’s failure was the cause of your injury.
In some cases, however, the property owner may be responsible for an even sidewalk. For example, if the roots of a tree planted by the adjacent homeowner cause an uneven sidewalk, that individual may be held liable for your injuries.
How J&Y Can Help
Our firm has extensive experience handling cases regarding uneven sidewalks and will fight for every dollar you deserve. Once you become our client, we will:
- Investigate and photograph the site of the accident
- Obtain and review any police reports and medical records
- Identify and interview witnesses
- Confer with medical experts about the extent of your injuries
- Negotiate a fair and just settlement with the municipality and their attorneys
- File a premises liability lawsuit if necessary
You should know that there are special rules to bring a claim against a municipality in California. If you are suing the government, you must notify the government agency within 6 months of the date of your accident. The government then has 45 days to respond before you can file a lawsuit. For this reason, it is crucial to contact J&Y as soon as possible so we can start working on your uneven sidewalk accident claim.
Reasons Uneven Sidewalks May Be Hazardous
Sidewalks are typically made of concrete slabs that may have been poorly constructed or maintained. Uneven sidewalk slip and fall accidents can occur when:
- Concrete has deteriorated over time
- Tree roots have raised slabs, resulting in an uneven surface
- Ice and snow have caused further deterioration
- Pieces of concrete have broken off, leaving cracks and crevices and holes
Regardless of the cause, falling on a sidewalk can result in serious injuries; a hard fall can be life-threatening. If you or a loved one has suffered a serious injury that required immediate medical intervention, hospitalization, and/or ongoing care, you may be entitled to significant compensation.
Types of Injuries Caused By Uneven Sidewalk Slip and Fall Accidents
Depending on which part of your body is impacted by your sidewalk fall, you may suffer one or more of the following:
- Knee and hip injuries
- Torn muscles
- Head and neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Nerve damage
- Traumatic brain injury
In addition to physical harm, you may also experience emotional distress, and lasting pain and suffering. By working with an experienced California slip and fall attorney, you can recover meaningful compensation.
Damages We Will Fight For
You may be entitled to compensation that includes economic and noneconomic damages:
- Economic damages will cover medical expenses (past and future), lost wages, loss of earning capacity, and other financial losses
- Noneconomic damages are designed to compensate you for intangible losses, such as pain and suffering, emotional distress, permanent disability, and loss of enjoyment of life
It is important to note that California’s rules of comparative negligence apply to premises liability claims. This means that you can still recover damages even if you shared some of the blame for the accident that caused your injuries, but the amount of your award will be reduced by the percentage of blame assigned to you. If you were talking on your cell phone and failed to notice the raised sidewalk, you may be found 20 percent at fault. If your damages were assessed at $30,000, the amount of your award will be reduced by $6,000 to $24,000.
Our attorneys know the ins and out of negligence law and will work to minimize any liability assigned to you. Above all, we are committed to winning you the compensation that considers all of your future medical and financial needs.
Contact Our Experienced Calfornia Sidewalk Accident Attorneys
Anyone can be injured in a slip and fall accident, but if an uneven sidewalk caused you serious harm, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney at your side. Rest assured, we will stand by you every step of the way. Contact J&Y today.