If you have suffered injuries in an Uber accident while driving your car, as a passenger in another vehicle, or as a pedestrian, you may have a valid third-party claim. The best way to protect your rights is to consult an experienced Uber accident attorney at J&Y Law.
We understand third-party rights in California Uber accidents and will work tirelessly to win you meaningful compensation. When you meet with us, we will explain your third-party rights and explore all your legal options.
Unlike other car accidents, Uber accidents involve complicated insurance rules. Let us sort through all the details so you can focus on healing. Contact our office today for a free case evaluation.
What Is a Third-Party Uber Accident Claim?
Third-party Uber accident claims involve three parties:
- The Uber driver (the first party)
- The insurance company of the Uber driver and the company (the second party)
- The injury victim who was not in the Uber vehicle (the third party)
Uber and its drivers may be held liable for third-party injuries; however, you need an experienced attorney to hold them accountable. That’s where J&Y can assist you.
We will demand full payment of your claim and, if necessary, file an Uber accident lawsuit on your behalf. Our firm has an impressive track record of achieving substantial settlements and jury awards favorable settlements and jury awards and will fight hard for every dollar you deserve.
Third-Party Rights and Insurance Coverage in Uber Accidents
In California, Uber must provide liability insurance to their drivers to cover damages their drivers cause to third parties. However, that coverage only applies during specific periods:
- Period 0 – The Uber driver is not on the app during this period. Uber provides no coverage during this period – the Uber driver’s personal liability insurance is the primary source of coverage.
- Period 1 – The Uber driver is logged onto the app but has not accepted a ride request during period 1. Uber provides coverage of up to $50,000 per person that is injured, $25,000 property damage liability, and $100,000 total injury liability per accident.
- Period 2 – The Uber driver has accepted a request and is traveling to retrieve the passenger during this period. If the driver causes an accident during this time, Uber’s liability coverage increases to $1 million.
- Period 3 – This period covers the time the passenger is traveling in the Uber vehicle. Uber’s liability coverage during this period is up to $1 million.
Third-party claims pose significant challenges. Suppose you suffer injuries in an Uber accident as a pedestrian and the driver was not on the app or waiting to connect with a passenger. The driver’s insurance may not cover all your losses. Uber accidents become more complex when other drivers are involved. Your claim may involve Uber, its, driver, another motorist, and their insurers, Given these complications, having an experienced California Uber accident attorney is essential.
How J&Y Handles Third-Party Uber Accident Claims
We will leverage our knowledge of the applicable negligence and insurance laws to protect your rights. Our attorneys will:
- Investigate and photograph the accident site
- Obtain and review the police report
- Identify and interview witnesses, including the Uber driver
- Subpoena the Uber driver’s smartphone and GPS data
- Review the Uber driver’s record and accident history
- Negotiate a settlement with the involved insurance companies
We prefer to resolve third-party Uber accident claims outside of court, but we are always ready to litigate to achieve the best possible outcome. Trust us to protect your rights and win just compensation through negotiations or litigation. Above all, we will fight to help you recover damages such as:
- Medical expenses
- Rehabilitative costs
- Lost wages – present and future
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Permanent disability/disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
Punitive damages may also be available if the Uber driver’s actions were egregious or illegal (e.g. drunk or reckless driving). These damages will punish the Uber driver’s misconduct and serve notice to other rideshare drivers to obey traffic laws and drive safely.
Contact Our Experienced California Uber Accident Attorney
Uber has become a popular and convenient way for people to get around, but accidents resulting in third-party injuries are becoming increasingly common. You can depend on J&Y Law to protect your third-party rights and get you the maximum compensation you deserve. Contact our office today to learn how we can help.