If you or a family member has suffered an injury in a Lyft accident in California, J&Y Law can help. We have extensive experience handling rideshare accidents and an impressive record of successful outcomes. We know how to fight back against tech giants like Lyft and their insurance companies and will work tirelessly to get you the compensation you deserve.
When you meet with us, we will explain your rights and explore all your legal options. Lyft and its drivers must carry liability insurance coverage; however, insurance rules governing rideshare accidents are complicated. We will leverage our skills and experience to determine whether Lyft, its driver, or a third party is responsible and hold that party accountable. Contact us today to get started with an experienced Lyft accident attorney.
Causes of a California Lyft Accident
Lyft offers passengers a convenient way to travel in California. Because there are thousands of rideshare drivers on the road, accidents are becoming common. Factors involved in Lyft accidents include:
- Lyft drivers own their vehicles, do not have commercial driver’s licenses, and are not trained
- Lyft drivers keep their schedules and work long shifts, increasing the risk of drowsy driving
- Lyft drivers use GPS and smartphones to locate and transport passengers, resulting in distracted driving
Notably, the criteria to become a Lyft driver are minimal. Lyft only requires drivers to be licensed for one year and be at least 25 years old. The company conducts limited criminal background checks and does not drug test its drivers.
Whether you were a Lyft passenger or the occupant of another vehicle struck by a Lyft driver, you deserve just compensation. Let J&Y Law handle all the details of your claim so you can focus on healing and getting back to your normal routine.
Determining Liability In Lyft Accidents
Liability depends on the Lyft driver’s status at the time of the accident:
- Was the Lyft driver logged onto the app?
- Was the Lyft driver traveling to retrieve the passenger?
- Was the Lyft driver taking the passenger to their destination?
The Lyft driver’s automobile insurance is the primary source of coverage when the rideshare app is off. All rideshare drivers must carry the required minimum liability coverage in California:
- $15,000 for injury/death to one person
- $30,000 for injury or death to more than one person
- $5,000 of property damage coverage per accident
Rideshare drivers must carry additional coverage when the app is on but they have yet to connect with a passenger:
- $50,000 bodily injury liability coverage per person
- $100,000 of bodily injury liability coverage per accident
- $30,000 of property damage liability coverage per accident
Lyft must also provide $200,000 in liability insurance coverage during this period. Once a passenger is in a Lyft vehicle, Lyft must carry a minimum of $1 million in liability insurance, which is the primary source of coverage.
That is a complicated insurance scheme, and Lyft accidents become more complex if another driver causes or contributes to the accident. Under those circumstances, your claim may involve Lyft’s insurance company, the driver’s insurer, and other drivers and their insurers.
Why You Need A Lyft Accident Attorney
You can depend on J&Y Law to sort through all the details of your claim, guide you through the process, and protect your rights. Once you become our client, our legal team will:
- Investigate the accident site
- Obtain and review police reports
- Interview any witnesses, including the Lyft driver
- Subpoena the Lyft driver’s smartphone and GPS data
- Collect medical evidence that supports your claim
We have the negotiating skills to get you a fair and just settlement, but we will take your case to trial, if necessary, to achieve the best possible outcome.
Lyft Accident Damages
Damages you recover depend on factors such as the extent of your injuries and the liability coverage in play. We will fight for the maximum compensation, including economic and non-economic damages such as:
- Medical expenses
- Rehabilitative cost
- Lost wages – present and future
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Permanent disability/disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
Trust J&Y Law to work in your best interest and get you compensation that considers all your future medical and financial needs.
Contact An Experienced Los Angeles Lyft Accident Attorney Today
If you have suffered an injury in a Lyft accident, seek immediate medical attention, and then contact J&Y Law. We will do whatever we can to hold the responsible party accountable and help you obtain just compensation. We handle all Lyft accident claims on a contingency basis, which means you pay no attorney fees until we recover for you. Contact us today for a free consultation.