Rideshare curbside accidents are becoming increasingly common. Unlike other accidents involving motor vehicles, rideshare accidents fall under complex insurance rules. This makes having an experienced attorney essential if you have suffered injuries in a rideshare curbside accident.
J&Y Law is the go-to firm for rideshare accident victims in California. We have in-depth knowledge of the applicable insurance rules and the determination to go up against big tech companies like Uber and Lyft. When you work with us, we will explore all your legal options for compensation. Contact us today to book a free consultation.
About Rideshare Curbside Accidents in California
A rideshare curbside accident occurs when an Uber or Lyft driver stops on the side of the road to pick up or drop off a passenger, and an accident occurs. These accidents involve collisions with other vehicles, bicyclists, pedestrians, or accidents caused by unsafe road conditions. Getting to the bottom of such accidents and identifying the responsible party requires the skills of an experienced California rideshare curbside accident attorney.
Determining Liability in a Rideshare Curbside Accident
Determining liability in a curbside accident depends on several factors, including whether the rideshare driver was at fault and whether another motorist caused or contributed to the accident.
If the rideshare driver was at fault, both the driver and the rideshare company may be liable for any damages that resulted. If another driver was involved, your claim may involve multiple parties, including that driver, the rideshare driver, the rideshare company, and their insurance companies.
Suppose you tripped over a broken curb while getting into or out of a rideshare vehicle. In that case, you may have a claim against the government agency responsible for maintaining the road. Let J&Y sort through all the details, identify the responsible party or parties, and get you the maximum compensation you deserve.
How Does Insurance Coverage Work in a Rideshare Accident?
Insurance coverage depends on the rideshare driver’s status when the accident occurred. Given that rideshare curbside accidents happen when passengers are picked up or dropped off, the rideshare company’s insurance will be the primary source of coverage.
Companies like Uber and Lyft must provide up to $1 million in liability coverage while drivers are retrieving or transporting passengers. However, insurance companies are notorious for putting profits ahead of injury victims and denying valid claims. If the rideshare insurer refuses to honor your claim, we will take them to court.
Common Injuries in Ridehare Curbside Accidents
Depending on the severity of the impact, injuries that may result from rideshare curbside accidents include:
- Broken bones – The impact of a curbside accident or a slip and fall can result in fractures or broken bones, such as broken ribs, arms, legs, or collarbones. These injuries may require surgical intervention and a lengthy recovery period.
- Soft tissue injuries – Soft tissues, including muscles, ligaments, and tendons, can be damaged in an accident. Sprains, strains, and tears are common, causing pain, swelling, bruising, and limited mobility.
- Head and brain injuries – Curbside accidents involving rideshare vehicles can lead to head injuries, ranging from mild concussions to traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). These injuries can have long-lasting effects on cognitive abilities and motor functions.
- Back and spinal cord injuries – Rideshare accidents can lead to back injuries, such as herniated discs, spinal fractures, or damage to the spinal cord, resulting in chronic pain, paralysis, or loss of motor function
- Internal injuries – The force of impact can cause internal injuries, including organ damage or internal bleeding. These injuries may not be immediately apparent but require urgent medical attention.
- Psychological trauma – Being involved in a rideshare curbside accident can lead to psychological trauma, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, depression, or a fear of driving or being in vehicles.
It’s essential to seek immediate medical attention after any accident, even if you don’t initially notice any symptoms. A prompt medical evaluation can ensure a proper diagnosis and treatment for underlying injuries. Also, the medical record will be valuable evidence in your rideshare accident claim.
How Our Firm Can Help
If you have been involved in a rideshare curbside accident, our experienced personal injury attorneys will handle all the details of your claim. We will:
- Investigate and photograph the accident site
- Identify and interview witnesses, including the rideshare driver
- Subpoena the rideshare driver’s smartphone and GPS data
- Collect medical evidence that supports your claim
- Negotiate with the rideshare company and their insurance company
In a successful claim, you may be entitled to medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. Trust our team to stand by you and fight for every dollar you deserve.
Talk To An Experienced California Rideshare Curbside Accident Attorney Today!
Rideshare companies boast safe and convenient travel, but what happens in a curbside accident? That’s where J&Y Law comes in. Contact us today so we can start working on your claim.