J&Y Law is dedicated to holding Uber, its drivers, and negligent third parties throughout California accountable for accidents that result in wrongful death. If you have lost a loved one in an Uber accident due to another’s negligence, you have a right to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
The best way to protect your rights during this difficult time is to consult with a compassionate and knowledgeable wrongful death lawyer. Our Uber accident attorneys have a proven history of achieving positive outcomes in wrongful death claims and will provide you with powerful representation when you need it most.
We believe that a death caused by the negligent or careless conduct of an Uber driver or other at-fault party is never justified. Our legal team is here to help you obtain compensation for your losses and find justice for your deceased loved one and surviving family members. Contact our office today for a no-cost, confidential consultation.
What is wrongful death?
Under California law, a wrongful death claim can be filed when an individual suffers a fatal injury due to the negligent, reckless, or willful conduct of another party. In a wrongful death arising from an Uber accident, it is necessary to prove the following elements of negligence:
- The Uber driver or other motorist (or both), owed your loved one a duty of care
- The defendant breached that duty
- That defendant’s breach directly caused your loved one’s death
- Your loved one’s death resulted in actual damages (e.g. hospitalization, medical expenses, lost wages, loss of potential earnings)
All motorists in California, including Uber drivers, have a duty of care to operate their vehicles safely and avoid causing harm to other drivers and pedestrians. While this seems straightforward, proving the other driver’s negligence in a wrongful death claim can be difficult. Moreover, Uber accidents are governed by complicated insurance rules that hinge on the rideshare driver’s status at the time of the collision.
Given these challenges, it is crucial to work with an experienced Uber accident lawyer. Trust J&Y to handle your wrongful death claim with the care and diligence it deserves and to fight to protect your family’s rights.
Causes of Fatal Uber Accidents in California
Fatal Uber accidents are usually the result of the negligent or reckless conduct of the at-fault driver, such as:
- Distracted driving — Uber drivers rely on smartphones and GPS technology to locate passengers and plan destinations, which can lead to distraction
- Drowsy driving — Rideshare driver often works long shifts, which causes drowsy driving accidents
- Speeding — An Uber driver or other motorist who causes an accident by driving at excessive speeds can be held liable for wrongful death
Other causes of fatal Uber accidents include:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI)
- Driving too fast for road or weather conditions
- Failing to obey traffic signals
- Reckless driving
Regardless of the nature of your loved one’s fatal Uber accident, our experienced wrongful death attorneys will fight for your rights and help you recover just compensation to secure your financial future.
Who can file a wrongful death Uber accident lawsuit?
In California, the only parties that can bring a wrongful death action are:
- A surviving spouse
- Surviving children
- Parents or siblings (if there are no direct survivors)
- Others who were financially dependent on the victim
When you become our client, we will provide you with trustworthy advice and counsel so that you can make informed decisions for your family. Above all, we will always work in your best interests and make your Uber accident case our cause.
Damages You Can Recover in a Wrongful Death Uber Accident Claim
In a wrongful death action, certain damages will be awarded to your deceased loved one’s estate, including:
- Past and future lost wages and benefits
- Medical expenses related to the decedent’s final injury or illness
- Funeral and burial expenses
Surviving family members may also be entitled to damages, such as:
- The value of financial support and household services
- The loss of love, companionship, and guidance the decedent provided
Although no amount of money can replace your loved one, a wrongful death lawsuit can provide you with just compensation and also help to prevent another fatal Uber accident, and another family’s suffering, in the future.
Contact Our Experienced California Uber Accident Attorneys
At J&Y Law, we know that fatal Uber accident claims are both complex and delicate. When you become our client, we will provide you with compassionate, efficient representation and fight for your family’s rights. Our attorneys will:
- Handle all the details of your claim
- Conduct a thorough investigation to determine the cause of the Uber accident and identify the responsible parties
- Take over all communications with opposing counsel and insurance companies
- Negotiate for a fair and reasonable settlement through arbitration or mediation
- Make court filings and appearances when necessary
A wrongful death claim may be especially challenging because you may be required to provide testimony, but we will provide you with support and empathy to see you through the process.
Please reach out to our office today for a free evaluation of your case.