Common Types of Motorcycle Accidents
Types of Motorcycle Accidents in Los Angeles
Riding a motorcycle can be an exhilarating experience on California’s scenic roads and highways. While observing safety rules provides motorcyclists with some protection, bikers and their passengers can sustain serious injuries in motorcycle accidents. Given the fact that motorcycle riding is so popular in the state, motorcycle accidents are common. If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to significant compensation.
J&Y Law routinely handles motorcycle accident injury lawsuits. Our skilled attorneys are highly regarded for providing clients with aggressive legal representation. Although there are risks involved in motorcycle riding, most crashes are the result of negligent or reckless drivers. We are dedicated to helping injured bikers obtain just compensation and helping them navigate the long road to recovery.
Types of Motorcycle Accidents J&Y Law Firm Handles
Through the years, our attorneys have seen how factors such as rider inexperience and weather conditions contribute to motorcycle accidents. At the same time, certain types of motorcycle accidents are more common than others, including:
- Intersection Accidents — Drivers who disregard traffic signals or right of way rules at intersections in Los Angeles pose a serious threat to motorcyclists. Intersection accidents often occur when a driver turning left fails to yield to an oncoming motorcyclist traveling straight through the intersection. In most cases, the driver will be held responsible for causing a motorcycle accident at an intersection.
- Blind Spot Accidents — Motorcycles riding in a lane alongside a car or truck can easily disappear into a blind spot. If a driver fails to check before changing lanes, he or she may collide with a motorcyclist. Because motorcycles offer no protection to the rider, blind spot accidents can cause catastrophic injuries.
- Distracted Driving Accidents — Distracted driving is one of the leading causes of motor vehicle accidents in Northern and Southern California, and motorcyclists are particularly vulnerable. Even though using a cellphone while driving is illegal, many accidents occur because distracted motorists are unaware of motorcycle riders around them.
- Failure to Yield Accidents — Drivers are either unaware of, or fail to abide by, the rules of the road in Los Angeles. They often ignore situations in which they are required to yield to other motorists or motorcyclists. Failure to yield accidents often involve head-on collisions, a leading cause of motorcycle accident fatalities.
- DUI Accidents — According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is factor in about 40 percent of all motorcycle accident fatalities. A driver who causes a motorcycle accident while driving under the influence in Los Angeles can be held liable and may also face criminal charges.
- Speeding Accidents — Speeding is the cause of numerous motorcycle accidents and injuries, accounting for more than 30 percent of all motorcycle fatalities. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident caused by a speeding driver, J&Y Law Firm can help you obtain meaningful compensation.
- Failure to See a Motorcyclist — Drivers often fail to see oncoming motorcycles because motorcycles are so much smaller than other vehicles. By wearing bright colors, motorcyclists can make themselves more visible and reduce the chances of motorcycle accidents.
- Road or Weather Conditions — Wind and rain present hazards for motorcyclists, as do potholes, patches or gravel, and uneven road surfaces. Although bikers should be alert to road and weather conditions, it may be possible to hold a city or county responsible for failing to maintain its roads and highways.
- Sharing Lanes — Motorcyclists often share lanes, which is dangerous, particularly if the other motorcyclist has to swerve to avoid an obstacle. Bikers on a group ride in California should avoid sharing lanes in order to avoid motorcycle accidents.
California Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
At J&Y Law, we are keenly aware that recovering damages in a motorcycle accident injury claim can be challenging. These accidents typically involve the other driver’s insurance company. Insurers often try to place blame on motorcyclists or attempt to settle claims for as little money as possible. We have the skills and resources to level the playing field.
Our legal team will conduct a thorough investigation to understand that circumstances involved in a motorcycle accident. We obtain and review police reports, identify and interview witnesses, and work to show how the driver of the car was negligent. Our attorneys also rely on medical records to demonstrate the severity of the rider’s injuries. We engage in intricate and detailed negotiations with insurance companies to recover the full value of injury claims. If the insurer does not offer a fair and reasonable settlement, we are fully prepared to litigate the case in court.
J&Y Law is committed to holding negligent drivers accountable and keeping the roads and highways in California safe for motorcyclists. Call our office today or complete the contact form on our website to set up a free consultation.