blonde woman smiling and driving uninsured motorist accident

Getting into an accident can be a terrible experience, even more terrible if the other driver’s insurance is not great enough to cover the financial costs of the accident. While California law requires all motorists to have automobile insurance, many drivers only carry the minimum amount allowed by law: $15,000 for injury or death to one person such as another driver, passenger, or pedestrian, $30,000 for injury or death to more than one person, and 5,000 for damage to property.

So what happens if the amount of your damages exceeds the amount of the other driver’s coverage? At the Los Angeles personal injury law firm of J&Y, we believe that you deserve fair compensation if you are the victim of an underinsured motorist accident. We work with car accident victims in Los Angeles, San Diego, Orange County, San Bernardino County, San Francisco County, and Sacramento County.

Underinsured Motorist Coverage

In California, insurance carriers are required to offer underinsured motorist insurance (UIM) which is designed to cover the costs of bodily injury if you are involved in an accident with a driver whose coverage is not enough to pay for damages. The benefits are limited to the amount of your personal liability coverage and do not include property damage.
For example, if you have $100,000 worth of damages but the driver’s insurance will only cover $25,000, underinsured coverage will make up the difference. That’s the good news. The bad news is that it can be complicated determining the extent of your claim. After an accident, you need time to determine just how serious your injury is, what medical treatment or physical therapy you need, and how much your lost wages will be. In addition, you must promptly notify your insurance company that you intend to file an underinsured motorist claim and the time to do so is limited.

Why You Should Call the law firm of J&Y

In order to determine the full extent of the damages you have suffered and to obtain just compensation, you need an experienced attorney by your side. You should not have to suffer because the other driver did not have enough insurance to cover the costs of your damages. Even if you have underinsured motorist accident coverage, however, many insurers will offer an immediate settlement for as little as possible. Before you speak to your insurer, call the experienced underinsured motorist accident attorneys at J&Y.

We have extensive experience pursuing these claims and we will aggressively represent your best interests. If we are unable to reach a fair settlement through intricate and detailed negotiations, we are fully prepared to take your case to court. At J&Y, our top priority is obtaining the maximum compensation that you deserve. Call our office today at 888-806-6722 for a free evaluation of your case.