Los Angeles Back Injury Attorney
Back injuries can be life-altering. From bone fractures to nerve damage to ligament tears to muscle strains, back injuries can result in significant pain and suffering. If your back injury was caused by the negligence of another party, J&Y Law can help. Our personal injury attorneys have a proven history of achieving substantial settlements and jury verdicts. When you become our client, we will fight to help you obtain just compensation.
How Back Injuries Happen in California
Back injuries are typically the result of a sudden jolt or excessive strain on the muscles, tendons or discs, which are frequently caused by:
- Car accidents
- Construction accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Sports injuries
- Violent crimes
Common types of back injuries include:
- Strain — Tendons connect muscle to bone and a strain occurs when the muscles or tendons are stretched or torn. The symptoms of a back strain include pain, muscle spasms, swelling, and difficulty bending or standing.
- Sprain — Ligaments, the connective tissue between the bones in a joint, can be stretched or torn. A back sprain can result in pain, swelling, bruising and loss of movement, which can affect the ability to reach, stretch, bend, or walk.
- Herniated (slipped) disc — The layers of fibrous tissue (discs) between the vertebrae in the back are essential for spinal flexibility. Trauma from a sudden blow can cause the tissue to rupture, which creates pressure on the spinal nerves and causes pain, weakness or numbness in different parts of the body.
- Fractured vertebrae — An external force to the spine, usually as a result of a serious accident or fall, can cause compression fractures of the vertebrae, which can result in instability to the spinal column, increasing the risk of a permanent spinal cord injury.
Back injuries not only cause pain and suffering but can also result in economic losses arising from medical bills and lost income. For this reason, it is crucial to consult an experienced back injury attorney.
How J&Y Law Can Help with Your Back Injury Claim
When you become our client, our attorneys will take the time to understand the circumstances surrounding your back injury. We know that treatment for chronic back pain can be expensive, including:
- Physical therapy
- Chiropractic care
- Surgery (e.g. spinal fusion)
We have the skills and resources to help you obtain the maximum compensation you deserve. By conducting an extensive investigation, we will work to hold the responsible party accountable. In the case of a car accident, for example, we know how to demonstrate the following elements of negligence:
- The other driver owed you a duty of care
- The other driver breached his or her duty
- The driver’s breach caused the accident
- Your injuries were directly caused by the accident
You should know that back injury cases arising from motor vehicle accidents are often resolved through negotiations with insurance companies. Although insurers often attempt to deny claims or pay as little money as possible, we know how to level the playing field. If the insurance company refuses to pay the full value of your claim, our trial lawyers know their way around the courtroom and will fight for your rights.
How Much is My California Back Injury Claim Worth?
Determining the value of a back injury claim depends on factors such as the extent of your injury, the nature of the accident and whether you contributed to the injury in any way. The personal injury attorneys at J&Y can help you recover significant compensation, which includes economic and non-economic damages:
- Economic damages cover your actual financial losses, such as medical expenses, lost wages, and loss of earning capacity
- Non-economic damages are designed to compensate you for intangible losses, such as pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and permanent disabilities
In addition, you may also be able to obtain punitive damages if the other party’s conduct was particularly egregious or unlawful (e.g. drunk driving, a violent assault).
It is important to note that California is a comparative negligence state for purposes of personal injury claims. This means that you can still recover damages if you were partially at fault for the accident that caused your back injury. The amount of your final award will be reduced by the percentage of blame assigned to you, however.
To use the car accident example mentioned above, if the driver who struck you was speeding, but you made an improper turn, a jury or insurance claims adjuster may determine that you were 20 percent at fault for the accident. If the total amount of damages is assessed at $100,000, your award will be $80,000. In any event, you can trust our legal team to help you obtain compensation that considers all of your medical and financial needs.
Contact Our Experienced Los Angeles Back Injury Attorney
Back injuries are often painful and slow to heal. Let J&Y Law handle all the details of your claim so that you can focus on recovering. We offer free consultations and you will not pay any attorneys fees’ until we recover for you. The sooner you contact our office, the sooner we can help you get your life back together.