Motorcycle on the rural road

Who Pays for Medical Bills in a Motorcycle Accident if I Was Hit by a Car?

profile photo
By Yosi Yahoudai
Founder and Managing Partner

The party who caused the accident will be responsible for paying your losses, including your medical bills. Most personal injury claims and lawsuits have negligence as their legal basis. Put simply, someone must have made a mistake that caused or contributed to the motorcycle accident for them to owe you any money.

A California personal injury attorney can evaluate who might be liable in your situation and answer questions like, who pays for medical bills in a motorcycle accident if I was hit by a car?

How to Find Out Who Was At-Fault

There are several ways to determine who might be liable for your medical bills and other losses. First, the police accident report will often identify who the investigating officer at the scene thought was at fault. Police reports are not always correct, however, so you should get a copy of the accident report and read it carefully. Let your lawyer know if there are errors or if the officer left out important facts.

Eyewitnesses can confirm information from the accident report or contradict it. Let’s say that the officer’s accident report blamed you, the motorcycle rider, for the accident. If several eyewitnesses tell a different story, for example, that the driver of the car ran a red light and struck you, the accident report could be called into question.

If you were not lucky enough to have eyewitnesses who saw what caused the accident, an accident reconstruction expert might be able to investigate the scene of the crash, take measurements, and perform calculations to determine fault. These experts can be expensive, but the results can be worth the cost.

What Types of Compensation Could the Negligent Party Have to Pay?

When a person causes harm to another person through carelessness, they can be liable for the economic harm and non-economic harm they caused. Here are the common economic losses people tend to experience after a motor vehicle collision:

  • Medical bills. Usually, the reasonable cost of the medical treatment you needed for your wounds is compensable. The ambulance, emergency room, doctors, hospital, physical therapy, prescription drugs, equipment like crutches or a wheelchair, and other healthcare services and goods directly related to your injuries can be in this category of your injury claim.
  • Lost wages. If you missed paychecks because of the accident, medical treatments, or recuperation time, you can seek to recover those losses.
  • Future medical expenses or long-term care. Sometimes an injured person will need follow-up medical procedures or daily assistance with medical treatments or personal care because of severe injuries from a motorcycle accident.
  • Future lost wages. Your injuries might make you unable to make as much money as before the collision.

Non-economic losses can include things like:

  • Pain and suffering. This category covers the physical discomfort, emotional distress, and inconvenience of the accident and your injuries.
  • Disfigurement. Large, visible scars or dismemberment could cause disfigurement after a motorcycle crash.
  • Loss of enjoyment of life. Ongoing impairment might make a person unable to do things they used to enjoy doing, like walking unaided.
  • Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Many people develop PTSD after a horrific crash.

Even though non-economic damages do not usually come with a paper trail like receipts and bills that make them easy to measure in dollars, a California personal injury attorney knows how to calculate the monetary value of these losses. Get in touch with our office today for a free consultation.

author photo
About the Author
Yosi Yahoudai is a founder and the managing partner of J&Y. His practice is comprised primarily of cases involving automobile and motorcycle accidents, but he also represents people in premises liability lawsuits, including suits alleging dangerous conditions of public property, third-party criminal conduct, and intentional torts. He also has expertise in cases involving product defects, dog bites, elder abuse, and sexual assault. He earned his Bachelor of Arts from the University of California and is admitted to practice in all California State Courts, and the United States District Court for the Southern District of California. If you have any questions about this article, you can contact Yosi by clicking here.