What are the Most Dangerous Intersections in LA?
- Apr 17 2020
Los Angeles has some of the most dangerous intersections in California for motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists. The NHTSA states that Los Angeles is one of four counties in the nation that accounts for ten percent of all pedestrian deaths. The number of fatal crashes in Los Angeles has increased by 32 percent over the past five years.
Our California personal injury attorneys help clients throughout Los Angeles file injury claims seeing compensation for car accident injuries.
Most Dangerous Intersections in Los Angeles
Crosstown LA conducted a study in partnership with USC to determine the most dangerous intersections in Los Angeles. According to the study, the intersection of Sepulveda Boulevard and Sherman Way ranked number one for the most dangerous LA intersection. Forty-seven (47) traffic collisions occurred at that LA intersection in 2019. Van Nuys has six of LA’s top 20 dangerous intersections.
The complete list can be found on Crosstown’s website, but the top five on the list are:
- Sherman Way and Sepulveda Boulevard (Van Nuys)
- Manchester Avenue and Figueroa Street (Vermont Knolls)
- Burbank and Sepulveda boulevards (Van Nuys)
- Van Nuys and Roscoe boulevards (Panorama City)
- Victory Boulevard and Coldwater Canyon Avenue (Valley Glen)
Traffic Accidents Increasing in Los Angeles
According to the Los Angeles Police Department, over 54,000 traffic crashes occurred in Los Angeles during 2019. Traffic deaths in 2019 totaled 236. Many of the fatalities from traffic accidents in Los Angeles involved pedestrians. Pedestrians accounted for roughly two-thirds of the traffic deaths in 2019.
Reasons for Traffic Accidents in Los Angeles
The reasons for traffic accidents in Los Angeles vary, but many of the cases involve human error or negligence. Common reasons for traffic accidents include:
- Speeding and reckless driving
- Distracted driving, including texting while driving and using a cell phone while driving
- Impaired driving, including alcohol-impaired and drugged driving
- Fatigued and drowsy driving
- Road rage and aggressive driving
- Following too closely or tailgating
When a driver causes a traffic accident, that driver can be held liable for damages caused by the accident. However, accident victims may have a difficult time recovering fair compensation for their injuries and losses. Insurance companies can make it more difficult for victims to receive the money they deserve for medical bills, loss of income, pain, and suffering.
If you are injured in a traffic accident, it can be helpful to remember these basic steps to take after a car crash:
- Call 911 to report the crash and wait for the police to arrive.
- Take pictures of the accident scene, if you can do so safely.
- See a doctor as soon as possible to document your injuries.
- Follow your doctor’s treatment plan.
- Do not discuss the accident with an insurance adjuster, including providing written or recorded statements.
- Avoid using social media until after you meet with an attorney and discuss how social media can hurt your injury claim.
- Contact a car accident attorney in Los Angeles as soon as possible.
Taking steps after a car accident to protect your health and your legal rights are the best way to increase your chance of recovering a fair settlement for your personal injury claim.
Contact Our California Personal Injury Attorney for a Free Case Review
If you have questions about a Los Angeles car accident, contact our California personal injury attorneys for a free consultation to discuss your claim.