Slip and fall accidents injure far too many people every year and rob countless people of their mobility. If you got hurt in a slip and fall or trip and fall because of someone else’s negligence, you might be able to recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other losses.
We will offer tips on how to prevent slip and fall injuries and explain how a California slip and fall accident attorney could help you seek compensation from the at-fault party. Let’s look at slip and falls: tips you need to know.
How to Prevent a Slip and Fall Accident
Sometimes, it is difficult, if not impossible, to avoid a slip and fall accident because the hazardous condition is not obvious. We can, however, offer a few tips on some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents on commercial property. These things can lead to slip and fall injuries:
- Exterior hazards can include things like cracks and potholes in the parking lot, snow and ice left un-shoveled, leaves and trash, and hidden hazards in grassy areas.
- Approaches and entries to shops can contain slick areas in wet weather or even on dry days. Be especially careful when there are no rubber-backed mats at the entry of the store to absorb moisture and prevent sliding.
- Inside the establishment, there might be unsecured electrical cords or cables. Also, leaking oil or water spills can pool around equipment like refrigerators or freezers.
You might want to exercise extra caution around these areas or conditions at a store or office.
Getting Compensation for a Slip and Fall Injury
A landowner has a legal duty to keep the premises reasonably safe for people who come onto the property. If you got hurt on someone else’s property, you will need to prove these factors:
- There was a dangerous condition on the property.
- The owner knew or should have known about the defect.
- The owner did not take reasonable measures to correct the hazard or block off the area and warn people so that they could avoid injury.
- The owner had adequate time to protect people from harm by fixing the dangerous condition or blocking it off and posting sufficient warnings.
- Because of the owner’s failure to address the situation within a reasonable amount of time, someone suffered a physical injury from the hazard.
When we can prove all of these elements, we can pursue a claim against the owner for your injuries. Money damages in slip and fall injury claims can include things like:
- Lost wages if you did not get paid during the time when you could not work because of your injuries.
- Lost future wages if you can no longer make as much money as before because of your injuries. This category could include situations in which you have to reduce your working hours or take a lower-paying position.
- Medical bills for the treatment you needed for your wounds.
- Pain and suffering for the physical discomfort and emotional distress of the accident.
These are but a few examples of the types of compensation you might be able to seek after getting hurt in a slip and fall accident. A California personal injury attorney could aggressively advocate for you to get the money damages you deserve. Contact our office today, we offer a free consultation.