Serious Reaction to a Medication? Here’s When You Can Sue

profile photo
By Yosi Yahoudai
Founder and Managing Partner

Medicine is supposed to make us feel better, not worse. Unfortunately, it is far too common for people to suffer serious reactions to prescribed medications. Read on to learn more about how the skilled California personal injury attorneys at J&Y Law get justice for victims of injuries caused by medication.

Myth: It’s Your Body’s Fault If You Have a Serious Reaction

Many people mistakenly think that if they have a serious reaction to medication they cannot sue, because it is not their doctor or the pharmaceutical company’s fault that their body reacted poorly. This is absolutely not the case. Doctors have a duty to talk with their patients about potential serious side effects of medication, and pharmaceutical companies have a duty to ensure that the products they make are safe for patients.

At J&Y Law, we know it is rarely patients’ fault that they had a serious reaction to prescribed medication. We understand how traumatizing—and often painful—an experience this can be for people, and we start by asking all clients who come to us as a result of a serious medication reaction questions about their quality of medical care. This information allows us to carefully assess whether you may have a medical malpractice or product defect claim.

Medical Malpractice Claims

You trust your doctor with your health. After all, medical practitioners are held to a higher standard of conduct than the rest of society because of their training. Unfortunately, doctors and nurses sometimes make mistakes that can cause patients serious harm by prescribing them medications without warning of potentially serious side effects. They can also prescribe patients medication without carefully reviewing a patient’s medical history to assess whether you are at risk for any of these side effects. You do your job accurately every day and so should they: you do not deserve to suffer because of someone else’s professional mistake!

At J&Y Law, our knowledgeable California medical malpractice attorneys will fight for the compensation you deserve. Our attorneys are thorough and will review your medical records and consult with medical experts as needed to build a strong medical malpractice case so you can recover the costs of medical care, pain and suffering, and more.

Product Defect Claims

Sometimes the issue is not with the doctor, but rather is with the company which manufactured the medication. Pharmaceutical companies have a duty to make sure their medications are safe for patients who use them. Sometimes a medication is flawed in its design, and other times it may be flawed as a result of the way it was manufactured.

No matter the cause, the experienced California personal injury attorneys at J&Y Law are experienced in pursuing products liability cases against the manufacturers, distributors, and retailers of the medication you were prescribed. We aggressively fight not just for your justice, but also to ensure no one else suffers the way you did again.

Contact J&Y Law for Help With Your Medication Reaction Injury

If you suffered a serious reaction from medication, you deserve compensation for your injuries. No matter if it was caused by a negligent medical provider or manufacturer, the attorneys at J&Y Law will use their personal injury knowledge and experience to fight for you. Contact us today.

author photo
About the Author
Yosi Yahoudai is a founder and the managing partner of J&Y. His practice is comprised primarily of cases involving automobile and motorcycle accidents, but he also represents people in premises liability lawsuits, including suits alleging dangerous conditions of public property, third-party criminal conduct, and intentional torts. He also has expertise in cases involving product defects, dog bites, elder abuse, and sexual assault. He earned his Bachelor of Arts from the University of California and is admitted to practice in all California State Courts, and the United States District Court for the Southern District of California. If you have any questions about this article, you can contact Yosi by clicking here.