If you have lost a loved one in a Lyft accident caused by another party’s negligence, you have the right to file a wrongful death lawsuit. By working with an experienced California wrongful death attorney, you can obtain just compensation.
J&Y Law works to hold Lyft, its drivers, and negligent third parties accountable for accidents that result in fatal injuries. We have a proven history of achieving positive outcomes in wrongful death claims and will provide you with compassionate, effective representation during this difficult time. Reach out today to discuss your case with an experienced Lyft accident attorney.
When Lyft Accidents Result in Wrongful Death
Under California law, you can file a wrongful death lawsuit when a loved one suffers a fatal injury due to another party’s negligent, reckless, or willful conduct. In a Lyft accident wrongful death claim, you must prove the responsible party’s negligence:
- The Lyft driver or other motorist (or both), owed your loved one a duty of care
- The defendant breached that duty
- That breach directly caused your loved one’s death
- Their death resulted in actual damages, such as medical expenses, lost wages, loss of potential earnings
All drivers, including Lyft drivers, have a duty of care to avoid causing harm to other drivers and pedestrians. However, determining liability in a Lyft accident is challenging because these accidents fall under complicated insurance rules that depend on the Lyft driver’s status at the time of the accident.
Was the Lyft driver logged onto the rideshare app? Was the Lyft driver traveling to retrieve a passenger? Was the Lyft driver transporting a passenger to their destination?
Depending on the circumstances, your wrongful death claim may involve multiple parties, including the Lyft driver, the company, another motorist, and their respective insurance companies. You can trust J&Y to sort through all the details, identify the negligent party or parties, and get you the compensation you deserve.
Causes of Fatal Lyft Accidents in California
Lyft accidents resulting in fatal injuries are often due to driver errors, such as:
- Distracted driving – Lyft drivers use smartphones to connect with passengers and GPS navigation to locate them and plan routes, either of which can lead to distracting driving
- Driver fatigue – Lyft drivers often work long shifts and may also hold down another job, making them prone to drowsy driving
- Speeding — Lyft drivers may drive at excessive speeds to quickly transport passengers so they can get to other paying customers
- DUI – Lyft drivers who operate their vehicles under the influence of drugs or alcohol and cause fatal traffic accidents can be held liable for wrongful death
Regardless of the cause, Lyft accidents resulting in wrongful death are never justifiable. You can depend on J&Y to hold the responsible party accountable and help you obtain meaningful compensation.
Who Can File a Lyft Accident Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
Only the following parties can bring a wrongful death action in California:
- A surviving spouse
- Surviving children
- Parents or siblings (if there are no direct survivors)
- Others who were financially dependent on the decedent
Notably, the following damages will be awarded to your deceased loved one’s estate:
- Past and future lost wages and benefits
- Medical expenses related to the decedent’s final injury or illness
- Funeral and burial expenses
In addition, surviving family members may be entitled to damages, including the value of financial support and household services and the loss of companionship and guidance the decedent would have provided had it not been for their death.
How J&Y Law Can Help
When you become our client, we will handle the details of your wrongful death claim, including:
- Conducting a thorough investigation to determine the cause of the Lyft accident
- Identifying the responsible party or parties
- Taking over all communications with insurance companies
- Negotiating a fair and reasonable settlement
- Filing a wrongful death lawsuit if necessary
No amount of money can replace a life, but you deserve compensation for your losses and justice for your loved one and family. Although you may be required to provide testimony about how your loved one’s death impacted your family, we will provide emotional support and guide you through the process.
Contact Our Experienced California Lyft Accident Attorneys
If you have lost a loved one in a Lyft accident, turn to J&Y Law. We offer free consultations, powerful representation, and caring, efficient service. Above all, we will make your case our cause, stand by you every step of the way, and fight to protect your rights. The sooner you contact our office, the sooner we can start working on your claim.
J&Y represents clients in wrongful death claims arising from Lyft accidents in Northern and Southern California.