Los Angeles Juul Burn Injury Attorney
Juul and other e-cigarettes have been touted as a safer alternative to cigarette smoking, however reports of Juul burn injuries are on the rise. Being burned by an electronic cigarette can lead to painful injuries and even permanent disfigurement. At J&Y Law Firm, our Juul lawsuit attorneys are dedicated to holding Juul and its major stakeholder, Altria, accountable for injuries caused by e-cigarette explosions. If you or a loved one has sustained a Juul burn injury, our experienced lawyers will fight to help you obtain just compensation.
What is Juul?
Juul is an electronic nicotine delivery device that provides a physical and sensory experience similar to that of a cigarette. The difference is that tobacco products burn while e-cigarettes heat liquid nicotine until it vaporizes. The Juul device is comprised of two components. The top part of the liquid nicotine cartridge that also acts as the mouthpiece. The bottom part contains a battery and temperature regulation system that is designed to prevent overheating or combustion, according to the manufacturer. Battery and charger explosions have occurred, however, resulting in serious personal injuries to Juul users.
Causes of Juul Burn Injuries
Currently, e-cigarettes are not approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), however, the federal agency is investigating Juul and other vape manufacturers for illegal marketing practices. In any event, it is highly likely that consumers have been using vaping devices that are not safe.
Juul and other types of vape pens use lithium-ion battery cells that can overheat and combust during use, which can result from:
- Overcharging the battery
- Punctured/damaged batteries
- External heat sources
- Internal short circuiting/cell faults
- Mismatched batteries and chargers
Juul battery explosions can occur while the battery is charging, when the consumer is vaping, or when someone is merely carrying the device. If you have suffered a Juul burn injury, you may have a valid legal claim against the manufacturer. As a premier personal injury law firm serving clients throughout California, J&Y has a proven history of achieving successful outcomes in product liability lawsuits.
Types of Juul Burn Injuries
If the battery or charger in an e-cigarette explodes, victims can sustain different types of Juul burn injuries such as:
- First-degree burns — These are “superficial” injuries that only involve the first layer of skin (the epidermis) that results in redness, minor inflammation, and pain. First-degree burns can be treated with home care, and generally heal within 7 to 10 days.
- Second-degree burns — These are more serious burns that go beyond the first layer of skin into the dermis, causing skin blisters. Second-degree burns may take up to 3 weeks to heal; severe ones can result in nerve damage and/or require skin grafting.
- Third-Degree Burns — These burn injuries can damage the outer layer of skin and subcutaneous tissue that leave the skin with a white, leathery look and typically require skin grafting, reconstructive surgery, and ongoing medical treatment.
- Fourth-Degree Burns — The most serious burn injuries, fourth-degree burns from a Juul device can permanently damage nerve endings, muscle and bone.
Damages You Can Recover in a Juul Burn Injury Lawsuit
In a e-cigarette lawsuit, you may be entitled to compensation, including economic damages and noneconomic damages. Economic damages cover actual monetary losses such as lost wages, medical expenses (e.g. deep tissue burns, skin grafts, plastic surgery) and lost earning capacity. By contrast, noneconomic damages are designed to compensate you for intangible losses such as pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life. The Juul burn injury lawyers at J&Y will see to it that you receive the maximum compensation you deserve.
What to Do After a Juul Device Explodes
If you have suffered a Juul burn injury, immediately seek medical attention. Additional steps you should take to protect your rights include:
- Document and photograph all your injuries
- Keep the damaged Juul device and any other evidence, such as clothes you were wearing at the time of the Juul burn injury
- Get the contact information of any witnesses to the accident
- Obtain medical records of any treatment you received
Our dedicated Juul burn injury lawyers will conduct an investigation to determine the cause of the battery explosion and determine whether to file a product liability lawsuit against Juul.
Contact Our California Juul Burn Injury Attorneys Today
After your burn injury has been treated, contact the Juul burn injury lawyers at J&Y Law. We have the knowledge and skills to hold Juul accountable and will fight tirelessly to help you obtain just compensation. Depending on the circumstances, we may be able to demonstrate that the Juul device was defective or that the manufacturer failed to warn you of the potential for a burn injury. When you become our client, you will not pay any attorneys’ fees until we win you compensation. The sooner you contact our office for a free consultation, the sooner we can get started on your case.