A contusion of the brain is a serious injury that can be life-altering. When traumatic brain injuries are the result of someone else’s negligence or recklessness, victims may be entitled to significant compensation. If you or a loved one has suffered a brain contusion, it takes an experienced brain injury lawyer to protect your rights.
J&Y Law has extensive experience handling brain injury claims for clients throughout California, including those involving contusions. We have a demonstrated track record of success in personal injury cases, having recovered millions of dollars for our clients. We offer free consultations and there is never a fee until we recover for you. Contact us now for an appointment.
What Is A Brain Contusion?
According to Johns Hopkins, a contusion is a bruise to the brain itself that can cause bleeding and swelling inside of the brain. Brain bruises are often the result of head trauma when the brain strikes the skull; contusions can also occur with skull fractures or other blood clots, such as a subdural or epidural hematoma.
A contusion of the brain can be quite serious and lead to further brain damage. A brain bruise that is accompanied by bleeding can disrupt the flow of oxygen to the brain, killing brain cells within minutes. A contusion can also lead to swelling in the brain, also known as edema.
While all contusions cause some degree of swelling, excessive swelling can press brain tissue up against the skull, referred to as intracranial pressure, eventually destroying brain cells. If intracranial pressure is too high, surgery may be necessary to relieve the pressure and prevent permanent brain damage.
Signs and Symptoms of Brain Bruises
Symptoms of a contusion in the brain, such as loss of consciousness, may present immediately after the head trauma. In some cases, however, the symptoms of a brain bruise may take days, weeks, or longer to surface. As pressure on the brain increases, most victims experience symptoms such as:
- Unequal pupil size
- Slurred speech
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of consciousness
- Paralysis on the opposite side of the body from the head injury
Left untreated, a contusion can cause permanent brain damage and result in death.
Common Causes of Brain Contusions
As mentioned above, a contusion in the brain is often the result of:
- Falls cause about half of all brain injuries. This includes workers’ falls from ladders, scaffolding, roofs, and other heights at construction sites as well as individuals injured in slip and fall accidents on private, commercial, or public property – older adults are particularly vulnerable.
- Car accidents are a leading cause of brain injuries, including contusions. Vehicle occupants can suffer traumatic brain injuries when the head strikes the interior of the vehicle or from a violent twisting or shaking of the head (whiplash). Motorcycle accidents, bicycle accidents, and pedestrian accidents can also result in brain bruises.
- Sports injuries are common in contact sports (e.g. football, basketball, hockey, soccer, lacrosse), resulting in traumatic brain injuries such as concussions and contusions.
- Violent crimes such as assault and domestic violence often result in traumatic brain injuries. It is possible to file a civil lawsuit for a brain bruise caused by an assault, regardless of whether the defendant is charged with or convicted of the crime.
Regardless of the cause of your brain bruise, if another party is at fault, our attorneys will fight to win you just compensation. While many injury claims are settled outside of court, our aggressive trial lawyers are always ready to litigate to achieve the best result.
Damages You Can Recover for a Brain Injury
No two injury claims are the same, and the damages you can recover depend on the severity of your brain bruise. Trust the legal team at J&Y to handle all the details of your claim, conduct a thorough investigation, and negotiate a fair and reasonable settlement to obtain economic and noneconomic damages, such as:
- Lost wages
- Medical expenses – past and future
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Rehabilitative care
- Permanent disability
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Whether you have suffered a brain contusion in a fall at a construction site, a car accident, a sports injury, or any other negligent act, we will provide you with aggressive representation, work to hold the responsible party accountable, and fight for the maximum compensation you deserve.
Contact Our Experienced California Brain Contusion Injury Attorneys
Suffering a traumatic brain injury can be overwhelming and a brain bruise can have lasting repercussions. At J&Y Law, we understand the physical, emotional, and financial burden facing you and can help to lift that burden by providing you with knowledge, compassion, and dependable service. The sooner you contact our office, the sooner we can start working on your claim.