Yes, passengers injured in a rideshare crash can recover damages from the at-fault party. In some situations, the injured passengers can pursue compensation from more than one party. Because these personal injury claims can involve multiple insurance companies, you might want to work with a California personal injury attorney on your case.
If the rideshare driver caused the crash, you might have a claim against both the driver and the rideshare company like Lyft or Uber. Sometimes, errors by two or more parties combine to create the collision.
How Much Compensation Can a Passenger Get From Lyft or Uber for Accident Injuries?
The party whose negligence caused the accident in which you got hurt can be liable for your losses. We cannot say how much that compensation will be until after we talk to you and investigate your accident and injuries.
Every car accident case is different. There is no flat rate for money damages you can go after. The amount of money you could recover will depend on the unique facts of your situation.
Types of Money Damages Available in Rideshare Crashes
Some of the common kinds of damages in car accident injury claims include:
- Medical expenses to treat the injuries. This category can include things like the ambulance, emergency room, hospital, doctors, diagnostic procedures, surgery, physical therapy, and prescription drugs.
- Lost wages. Many people miss paychecks while recuperating from car crash injuries. Lost wages, salary, self-employment, or other forms of regular income can create financial hardship. The careless party who caused the collision should bear this loss instead of you.
- Future lost wages. If you have an ongoing impairment, like chronic pain, weakness, or loss of function, you might not be able to earn as much money as you could before the accident. Some people have to work fewer hours or take a lower-paying position because of their injuries.
- Pain and suffering. This category of money damages encompasses the physical discomfort and emotional distress of getting hurt in a car accident.
- Other intangible losses. Intangible losses are damages that are challenging to measure in dollars. These things are legitimate harm that deserves compensation. Some examples of intangible damages include disfigurement from significant scars, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and loss of enjoyment of life.
You might have different types of money damages in your situation, in addition to these common categories.
Protecting Your Right to Compensation for Injuries From a Rideshare Accident
One of the greatest threats to getting the money damages that you deserve from the party whose negligence caused your injuries is the simple passage of time. You do not have long to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party.
If you miss the deadline, you will forever lose the legal right to hold the careless party accountable for your losses. You could end up with a stack of medical bills you cannot afford to pay.
Another risk of delay is that the evidence that proves your injury claim can disappear. It can be impossible to find witnesses months or years after the collision. The scene of the accident can change over time. The damaged car could go to a salvage yard and get crushed for scrap metal.
A California personal injury attorney can advocate for you and negotiate directly with the insurance company on your behalf. Contact us today.