If you were injured in a bus accident, you may be wondering if you can file a personal injury lawsuit. Bus accidents can result in serious injuries, and it is important to understand your legal options. In this blog post, our California bus accident attorneys will discuss what you need to know about filing a personal injury lawsuit after a bus accident. We will also discuss the time limits for filing a lawsuit and the types of damages that may be available. Contact an attorney to discuss your specific case.
What To Do After A Bus Accident
If you are involved in a bus accident, there are several things that you should do to protect your rights. Here is a list of seven things to do after a bus accident:
- Call 911. Regardless of whether you feel you are injured, it is important to call the police so you can have an official record of the accident.
- Seek medical attention. If you have been injured in the bus accident, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Do not wait to see if your injuries will improve on their own; seek medical attention right away.
- Gather evidence. If you are able to, gather evidence from the bus accident scene. This includes taking pictures of the scene and collecting witness statements.
- Wait to speak to the insurance company. Do not speak to the bus service’s insurance company until you have spoken with an attorney. The insurance company may try to get you to sign a release or make a statement that could hurt your case.
- Keep track of your expenses. Keep track of all of the money you spend as a result of the bus accident. This includes medical bills, travel expenses, and any other expenses related to the accident.
- Follow your doctor’s orders. If your doctor tells you to take time off from work or make changes to your lifestyle, be sure to follow their orders.
- Contact an attorney. It is important to contact an attorney as soon as possible after a bus accident. An attorney can help you protect your rights and determine if you have a case.
When To File A Personal Injury Lawsuit After a Bus Accident
If you have been injured in a bus accident, it is important to understand when to file a personal injury lawsuit. In California, you have two years from the date of an accident to file a lawsuit. However, if you were riding a public bus, then the California Tort Claims Act comes into play. If this is the case, you must file written notice of your claim within 6-months of the accident.
How Long Does It Take To Settle A Bus Accident Lawsuit?
Most bus accidents are settled out of court, but it can take time to reach a settlement. Settlement can take anywhere from a few months to a couple of years. Factors that affect settlement include the extent of your injuries and how long your treatment lasts, as well as how many other people were injured in the accident.
If you have been injured in a bus accident, it is important to speak with an attorney as soon as possible so you can get started on the process of filing a lawsuit. The experienced personal injury attorneys at J&Y Law Firm can help. Contact us today for a free consultation.