California RV Accident Lawsuits
- Feb 1 2021
Recent statistics support RVing as an increasingly popular means of travel among Americans. It is reported that nearly 11% of American households now own an RV.
And, as the Covid-19 stay-at-home orders begin to lift, those with access to RVs are setting out across the beautiful American countryside, many of them California-bound.
With every good thing, however, comes concerns. RVs are less stable and more challenging to handle than passenger cars, resulting in severe injuries if involved in a crash.
California personal injury attorneys represent victims in RV accident lawsuits to ensure that just compensation is awarded to those suffering injuries. If you are involved in an RV accident you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries.
How Do RV Accidents Happen?
RVs are taller and wider than passenger cars, making maneuverability a bit tricky. Although they are significantly larger than personal vehicles, more likened to a commercial-sized rig, there is no special license or training needed for a driver to operate an RV.
Personal injury attorneys experienced in recreational vehicle accident cases have noted common risks leading to RV accidents:
- An RV’s height and length make them prone to rollover accidents. This is especially true if an RV driver turns too fast, hits a curb or road hazard, or travels in high winds.
- The blind spot on an RV is larger than on a passenger car, making it difficult for RV drivers to see smaller vehicles, cyclists, or pedestrians. This can lead to accidents when changing lanes or making turns.
- Recreational vehicle drivers generally don’t operate their RV as often as they do smaller personal vehicles. The lack of handling time behind an RV wheel may contribute to operational errors on the road.
- RV drivers can become more easily distracted by vehicle occupants, such as pets and children. Distracted driving increases the likelihood of accidents.
While these are just some of the causes of RV accidents, all of the listed risks involve operator error and negligence. Viable RV personal injury claims necessitate negligence on the part of the other driver.
What Should You Do After a California RV Accident?
If you’re injured in an accident involving an RV, there are steps you should take to preserve your right to potential compensation for your injuries.
- The first thing you should do is seek medical attention to safeguard your health. If you are injured, you should take pictures of your injuries.
- Next, gather evidence. Take photos of the scene and the vehicles involved. Make notes about the accident especially the events leading up to and after the crash. Gather witness information when possible.
- Finally, contact a California personal injury attorney to act as your representative. Do not speak directly to the other drivers’ insurance company. Insurance companies will take advantage of your vulnerability following an accident to reduce or deny their liability. Refer all inquiries to your legal counsel.
What Can You Be Compensated for After an RV Accident?
Negligent parties in an RV accident may be liable for more than just your medical bills. A skilled California personal injury attorney will fight to get you as much compensation for your suffering as possible.
Compensation may be recoverable for the following:
- Property damage and loss
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Lost future income
- Rehabilitation services
- Permanent disability
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of Consortium
- Emotional duress
Your personal injury lawyer will review in detail the extent of your immediate financial hardship resulting from the RV accident while also accounting for future financial needs stemming from your injuries.
How a California Personal Injury Attorney Can Help You
RV accidents can result in severe injuries to accident victims, often resulting in significant financial burdens. If you’ve been injured in an RV accident, you may be entitled to much-needed compensation.
You need experienced legal counsel well-versed in both RV accidents and the insurance tactics used to minimize or escape liability.
When you contact a California personal injury attorney at our office, you can rest assured that our experience and resources will work for your benefit. Whether through mediation or litigation, we will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
Call today for a comprehensive case review of your RV accident.