California Parking Lot Slip and Falls
- Jun 26 2017
What should I do if I fall in a parking lot in California?
Parking lots and parking garages are a scattered across California. These structures allow individuals to easily access businesses, office buildings, schools, airports, and retail establishments. While parking lots and garages offer convenience, they can also present hazards to pedestrians. Parking structures are the location of thousands of slip and falls annually, often caused by poor maintenance or poor design of the parking area. Under certain circumstances, the victims of California parking lot slip and falls may have the right to seek compensation from the parking lot owner or lessee.
Causes of Parking Lot Slip and Falls
Slip and falls are the most commonly reported injury to happen in parking lots nationwide. Some of the most likely causes of slip and fall accidents include:
- Slippery surfaces or substances spilled on the parking lot, like oil;
- Cracked or uneven pavement;
- Cracked, damaged, missing, or poorly located tire stops;
- Poor lighting;
- Missing stairwell banisters in parking garages; and
- Poor weather conditions, such as rain.
Steps to Take After a Parking Lot Fall
If you are injured in a parking lot fall, taking the following steps can help you to protect your health and legal rights:
- Report the accident: You should report your fall to the police and to the property manager or owner of the parking lot or parking garage. Swiftly reporting the accident will start an important paper trail to substantiate your accident.
- Record the facts of the accident: As soon as you can after the fall, you should write down your recollection of the events, including the date and time of the fall, how you fell, and what medical symptoms you are experiencing.
- Photograph the parking lot: Take pictures of the location in which you fell, being sure to include any conditions that led to the fall within your photograph.
- Obtain witness information: If anyone saw the fall, ask them for their basic contact information and a brief statement as to what they saw.
- Seek medical attention: If you believe you may have sustained injuries in the fall, act quickly to obtain the medical attention you need to prevent worsening of your injuries and to protect your legal rights.
Posted in: Slip & Fall