Accidents involving trucks and tractor-trailers in California frequently result in serious injuries, including head and brain injuries. Given the amount of force in a truck accident, an injury to the brain can be life-threatening. At J&Y Law, we are dedicated to protecting the rights of victims of truck accidents who suffer serious brain injuries.
Our personal injury attorneys have a proven history of achieving positive outcomes in truck accident cases, having achieved significant settlements and jury verdicts for our clients. If you or a loved one has suffered a brain injury in a truck accident, we will provide you with powerful representation when you need it most.
Trust our legal team to fight for the maximum compensation you deserve, in or out of the courtroom. Contact our office today for a free consultation.
Consequences of Truck Accident Brain Injuries in California
The brain is a complex organ and trauma to the brain caused by a truck accident can result in cognitive and physical impairment and even death. Brain injuries can range from moderate to severe and symptoms include:
- Persistent headache
- Loss of consciousness
- Difficulty concentrating
- Confusion, lightheadedness
- Memory loss
- Mood swings
- Anger and anxiety
- Slurred speech
- Blurred vision
- Sensitivity to light or sound
Because even moderate brain injuries can have lasting repercussions, some survivors of traumatic brain injuries may require extensive rehabilitation or lifelong care. Regardless of the severity of your injury, our experienced truck accident attorneys are here to fight for your rights.
We can assist with filing a personal injury lawsuit against the responsible party and help you obtain meaningful compensation. Because we understand your physical, emotional, and financial challenges, you will not pay any attorneys’ fees until we recover you.
Causes of Truck Accidents that May Result in Brain Injuries
Despite the fact that trucking companies and truck drivers must adhere to federal and state safety standards, truck accidents are often the result of:
- Driver fatigue — Federal law limits the length of time truck drivers can travel without a break; however, truckers are required to meet strict delivery deadlines which can lead to drowsy driving.
- Distracted driving — Truck drivers rely on GPS devices to navigate and smartphones to communicate, and frequently eat and drink while driving, which can lead to distracted driving.
- Driving under the influence — Some truckers may rely on illegal substances to help keep them alert on long hauls which can impair their driving ability.
- Improper maintenance — Trucking companies are required to properly maintain their vehicles and conduct regular inspections; however, defective brakes, tires, lights, or other components are common causes of truck accidents
- Inadequate training — Trucking companies are required to conduct background checks and properly train drivers. However, inexperienced truck drivers are paid less per mile than experienced drivers. Given the challenges of maneuvering commercial trucks, especially tractor-trailers, inadequately trained truck drivers are more likely to cause accidents.
- Improper loading — Despite federal and state laws that regulate truck cargo weight, an improperly loaded truck can be more difficult to maneuver or stop, and the imbalance can potentially cause a jack-knife accident. Depending on the circumstances, the trucking company, the truck driver, or a third party (e.g. warehouse operator) may be held liable.
Determining Liability for a Truck Accident Brain Injury?
Holding a trucking company or trucker responsible for an accident can be difficult. These companies and their insurers typically dispatch investigators to truck accident scenes in an effort to minimize their liability. At J&Y Law, we have the skills and resources to level the playing field. Our attorneys regularly collaborate with a network of accident reconstruction specialists to investigate truck collisions.
Our legal team will work to identify the party responsible for your brain injury, whether it is the trucking company, the driver, the truck or part manufacturer, or the government agency responsible for maintaining roads and highways. No matter who is responsible, we will fight to win you just compensation through negotiation or litigation.
Damages You Can Recover For a Truck Accident Brain Injury
While no two injury claims are the same, you may be entitled to significant compensation that includes both economic and noneconomic damages:
- Economic Damages cover lost income (past and future), medical and rehabilitation expenses, long-term care, and other financial losses.
- Noneconomic Damages for pain and suffering, emotional distress, permanent disability, disfigurement, loss of enjoyment of life, and other intangible losses
If the responsible party’s conduct was egregious (e.g. DUI, reckless driving), you may be awarded punitive damages. Above all, we are committed to helping you obtain all the medical and financial resources you need going forward.
Contact Our Experienced California Truck Accident Brain Injury Attorneys
Being involved in a truck accident is overwhelming. Suffering a serious brain injury can be life-altering. When you work with J&Y, our legal team will handle all the details of your claim so that you can focus on your recovery. Contact our office today to learn how we can help you and your family.